[NatureNS] a guidebook to local dragonflies and damselflies ?

Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 15:23:03 -0300
From: Phil Schappert <philjs@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

am inspired
At 09:23 AM 8/2/2008, Dusan Soudek wrote:
>    Could someone kindly post - again - the name of the guidebook
> used to ID Nova Scotian ( or Maritime) dragonfly and damselfly
> species? Someone has done so on NatureNS already, but I have
> misplaced the reference.
>    I am inspired to try to identify some of the common local
> species, as my peninsular Halifax garden pond just produced a crop
> of dragonflies, as evident by the 50 or so empty larval
> exoskeletons attached to nearby vegetation. Interestingly, I rarely
> see adult dragonflies (or damselflies) in the vicinity of the pond.

I recently purchase a number of the "North Woods" series field guides
(cover the upper Great Lakes region, e.g northern Ontario, Minnesota,
Wisconsin & Michigan) and they are quite good -- compact, well
illustrated and topical (includes dragonflies, damselflies,
amphibians and reptiles, spiders, insects and lichens, and others).

The "Damselflies of the North Woods" guide by Bob Dubois & Mike Reese
covers all but two of the damsels listed for NS (Superb Jewelwing &
Little Bluet). Similarly, the "Dragonflies of the North Woods" guide
by Kurt Mead seems to cover about 95% or so of the NS list. They're
available from Amazon.ca (for some reason Chapters does not carry many of them

But I will also order the guide that Derek recommends. The correct
URL for that is
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/nhesp/publications/nhesp_pubs.htm

Phil

--

Dr. Phil Schappert

27 Clovis Ave.
Halifax, NS Canada, B3P 1J3
Home: 902-404-5679
Cell: 902-460-8343

www.philschappert.com
www.aworldforbutterflies.com

"Just let imagination lead, reality will follow through..."
                                             Michael Hedges