[NatureNS] re Western Toad toadlets migration in B.C.

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 17:59:02 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, lisa@fraservalleyconservancy.ca

  surrounding the lake and wetland, but we&lt;/D
Hi Lisa & All,            July 31, 2008
    I dare say you are already moving in this direction, but a small
animal underpass, suitably located (e.g. where you were escorting
toadlets in this instance) would be less labour-intensive and
consequently more practicable in the long run.

    Why Conservation organizations have not lobbied for and made public
noises about small animal crossings beats me. Perhaps I have not been
paying attention but I have noticed that some have been installed in the
UK. Even modest highways with light traffic can be effective barriers to
movement of Reptiles and Amphibians, either by preventing access to the
roadway or by killing some that do make it.

    Based on road kills observed while walking, I think snakes must sun
on gravel roads where they blend in nicely before and after being
flattened. And a 20-cm high ridge of gravel, thrown up by a road grader,
can stop a 30-cm snake from crossing. And a highway sand cut, at angle
of repose after about 25 years, acts as a solid wall to a toad (in dry
weather; wet might be different).

Yours truly, Dave Webster, Kentville