[NatureNS] Unknown Tern, Unexpected bird and other bird related.

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 03:04:24 +0000

--_4a44e763-dda5-4fbf-9753-bffcab2b6e81_

I spent a great day out birding.  I had five other people with me.  A young=
 birder from South Carolina=2C whom I take out at least once or twice a yea=
r when he is here around this time=2C a birder from Ontario=2C a birder fro=
m New Brunswick and a couple from Ohio.  Anyhow=2C we started at CSI (Cape =
Sable Island).  At Daniels Head we saw a tern=2C which has me puzzled.  Non=
e of us really got a great look at this bird and we could not relocate it. =
 I personally just caught the bird shortly before it disappeared.  This ter=
n had a different wing-beat as noted by Collier the young birder.  What I s=
aw of the bird is that is was smaller than our normal terns.  The wings wer=
e shorter and very skinny compared to our normal terns.  There was heavy bl=
ack edging along and up both sides of the wing.  Hopefully someone else on =
the island will see that particular tern or it will stay in the area for a =
few days for some other birder to pick it up.
=20
Good birds on the island were of course the hudsonian godwits and ruddy tur=
nstones reported.
=20
Our second location was Bacarro.  This is where the unexpected bird comes i=
n.  Collier said that he saw a dovekie close to the shoreline.  He had been=
 up north and had seen this species not long before and therefore was famil=
iar with the bird.  I admit that I was skeptical at first as we just do not=
 normally see dovekies here this time of the year=2C but Collier is a sharp=
 birder and very seldom does he err=2C therefore I asked where the bird was=
.  He showed me where he had seen the bird and sure enough it was a dovekie=
.  We quickly motioned the others over and they were all able to spot it as=
 well.  I went for my scope and of course when I got back I could not reloc=
ate it.  Other birds of note at Bacarro were a white-winged scoter=2C sever=
al greater shearwaters=2C about 605 common eiders=2C gannets=2C a lone rose=
ate tern flying by=2C and some whimbrels.  A pair of white-sided dolphins w=
ere also seen.
=20
At Ohio=2C the eastern bluebirds are still present and doing well.
=20
Birds are definitely on the move in migration.  Warblers were few and place=
s that had tons of birds earlier in the year were quiet and vacant.  A floc=
k of 50 blue jays at Port Clyde tells the tale.
=20
James R. Hirtle
East LaHave

--_4a44e763-dda5-4fbf-9753-bffcab2b6e81_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt=3B
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
I spent a great day out birding.&nbsp=3B I had five other people with me.&n=
bsp=3B A young birder from South Carolina=2C whom I take out at least once =
or twice a year when he is here around this time=2C a birder from Ontario=
=2C a birder from New Brunswick and a couple from Ohio.&nbsp=3B Anyhow=2C w=
e started at CSI (Cape Sable Island).&nbsp=3B At Daniels Head we saw a tern=
=2C which has me puzzled.&nbsp=3B None of us really got a great look at thi=
s bird and we could not relocate it.&nbsp=3B I personally just caught the b=
ird shortly before it disappeared.&nbsp=3B This tern had a different wing-b=
eat as noted by Collier the young birder.&nbsp=3B What I saw of the bird is=
 that is was smaller than our normal terns.&nbsp=3B The wings were shorter =
and very skinny compared to our normal terns.&nbsp=3B There was heavy black=
 edging along and up both sides of the wing.&nbsp=3B Hopefully someone else=
 on the island will see that particular tern or it will stay in the area fo=
r a few days for some other birder to pick it up.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Good birds on the island were of course the hudsonian godwits and ruddy tur=
nstones reported.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Our second location was Bacarro.&nbsp=3B This is where the unexpected bird =
comes in.&nbsp=3B Collier said that he saw a dovekie close to the shoreline=
.&nbsp=3B He had been up north and had seen this species not long before an=
d therefore was familiar with the bird.&nbsp=3B I admit that I was skeptica=
l at first as we just do not normally see dovekies here this time of the ye=
ar=2C but Collier is a sharp birder and very seldom does he err=2C therefor=
e I asked where the bird was.&nbsp=3B He showed me where he had seen the bi=
rd and sure enough it was a dovekie.&nbsp=3B We quickly motioned the others=
 over and they were all able to spot it as well.&nbsp=3B I went for my scop=
e and of course when I got back I could not relocate it.&nbsp=3B Other bird=
s of note at Bacarro were a white-winged scoter=2C several greater shearwat=
ers=2C about 605 common eiders=2C gannets=2C a lone roseate tern flying by=
=2C and some whimbrels.&nbsp=3B A pair of white-sided dolphins were also se=
en.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At Ohio=2C the eastern bluebirds are still present and doing well.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Birds are definitely on the move in migration.&nbsp=3B Warblers were few an=
d places that had tons of birds earlier in the year were quiet and vacant.&=
nbsp=3B A flock of 50 blue jays at Port Clyde tells the tale.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>

--_4a44e763-dda5-4fbf-9753-bffcab2b6e81_--