[NatureNS] Large Hawthorne Tree re: HELLEBORINE

From: "Roland McCormick" <roland.mccormick@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 21:28:19 -0300

Hello Larry -
       With the weather the way it is it will be a few days before I get a
picture, but I will tend to it as soon as possible.  The tree has a history.
According to Michael Christie his great grandfather took his wife and dagon
ox and went to visit relatives who lived the other side of Shelburne. After
a few days they started for home and the ox was balking, so he cut a switch
from a hawthorn to make it mind. When he got back to Brass Hill he stuck the
stick in the ground and it grew. Today it is a high double tree with
children in the area. Sorry I can not get a picture of the tree when it was
in full bloom.
          That is the story - believe it or not.

Roland.