[NatureNS] Squirrel sweet tooth

Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 09:24:17 -0300
From: Eleanor Lindsay <az678@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

David & Alison Webster wrote:
> Dear All, July 19, 2008
> While looking for a seldom used kitchen tool today in the basement, I
> found a long forgotten box of Weinbrand Bohnen (Brandy Filled
> Chocolates) in a polystyrene container. There was a hole chewed in the
> polystyrene container (top edge of Squirrel-sized hole 2.25" above
> edge of a wooden tray that would serve as a platform) and a hole
> chewed in the corner of the chocolate box.
>
> Only 3 1/2 chocolates were missing so the taste apparently did not
> live up to the odor that presumably inspired the raid. The remainder
> were unfortunately grey with long fuzzy mold.
>
> Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

Talking of creatures with a sweet tooth, I am currently battling one
which has taken to raiding and emptying my hummingbird feeder every
chance it gets! The feeder hangs in a tree and several times this season
I have found the recently filled feeder completely empty in the morning,
still hanging from its site, but totally sticky and grubby with bits of
leaf and twiglets all over the outside. One evening after dark I noticed
unusual branch movement and on going out to check scared away something
large (most likely a raccoon - but it could also have been a porcupine,
several of which have some of my trees under attack - and the feeder was
once again empty. I have checked that it is functioning normally and not
leaking). This is a first after two decades of hummer feeding. How
common is it for raccoons and/or porcupines to go for sugar water like this?

Eleanor Lindsay
Seabright NS