[NatureNS] Re:Hemp dogbane

From: Lesley Butters <lesley.butters@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:04:00 -0400

Apocynum cannabinum  Indian Hemp, Dogbane family

This plant is quite prolific along the roadside, near my cottage, in the settlement of Albany New, Medway River. At the moment this plant is  in full bloom and looks so pretty, though I realize it is a poisonous plant to animals, if digested. On one website, I read that this plant was endangered. Is that so here in Nova Scotia?

"The Firefly," like most things in nature runs in cycles. Over the past 7 years, at my cottage, my Mum and I have observed a decline in the firefly population. This July, I have seen a grand total of 51 flickering split seconds of light. Always a thrill to see, despite the lack of numbers.

Lesley Butters
Halifax,NS