[NatureNS] ticks Lyme Disease

Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 18:20:53 -0300
From: "Richard Stern" <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_12299_10493027.1215552053782

Hi,

A few years ago after photographing a Gt.Horned Owl's nest near Kingston, I
realized that my cell phone had fallen off my belt and I went back, crawling
around the undergrowth etc. looking for it. I never found it, and for all I
know it's still there! Anyway, when I got home I was covered in ticks. I
didn't count them, but I'm sure 43 would be an underestimate. I thought I
got them all off, but there were still some in my clothing, and some that
managed to crawl into the bedding and onto Liz, who was horrified (we're
still married, by the way). Next morning I really thought I had got them all
off, but as I was sitting watching a video-conference at the hospital, I was
aware of several more on my arms and neck that had started to embed - but I
again managed to get them all off just by pulling the heads out. Luckily
none of this happened in front of any patients, and I never got Lyme
Disease.

I know Murray would like this story!

Richard

--
#################
Dr.Richard Stern,

Richard Stern,
317 Middle Dyke Rd.
Port Williams, NS, Canada
B0P 1T0

rbstern@ns.sympatico.ca
rbstern@xcountry.tv
sternrichard@gmail.com

------=_Part_12299_10493027.1215552053782

Hi,<br><br>A few years ago after photographing a Gt.Horned Owl&#39;s nest near Kingston, I realized that my cell phone had fallen off my belt and I went back, crawling around the undergrowth etc. looking for it. I never found it, and for all I know it&#39;s still there! Anyway, when I got home I was covered in ticks. I didn&#39;t count them, but I&#39;m sure 43 would be an underestimate. I thought I got them all off, but there were still some in my clothing, and some that managed to crawl into the bedding and onto Liz, who was horrified (we&#39;re still married, by the way). Next morning I really thought I had got them all off, but as I was sitting watching a video-conference at the hospital, I was aware of several more on my arms and neck that had started to embed - but I again managed to get them all off just by pulling the heads out. Luckily none of this happened in front of any patients, and I never got Lyme Disease.<br>

 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; What is the record for the most ticks in one day? &nbsp;A few years ago I went trout fishing - I pulled wool socks up over my pant legs - no rubber boots - and picked up 43 ticks in one afternoon.<br>
Roland &nbsp;(Barrington) <br>
B0P 1T0<br><br>rbstern@ns.sympatico.ca
rbstern@xcountry.tv
sternrichard@gmail.com<br> ################### ------=_Part_12299_10493027.1215552053782--