[NatureNS] BALLOONS JELLYFISH AND PLASTIC BAGS

From: "Laurie Murison" <gmwhale@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 11:21:43 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0065_01C8E023.A26D04F0

I spend much of my summer on the water in the Bay of Fundy and we have =
also picked up balloons from Massachusetts, advertising a car =
dealership.  It only makes sense that any balloon released to the SW of =
us will travel this way in the summer.

On our whale watch trip Saturday there were at least a dozen helium =
balloons drifting in tide streaks, the largest was a huge red lobster!  =
The paint comes off the helium balloons very quickly when they land on =
the water and they quickly resemble very large moon jellies, partially =
filled with sea water.  We can spend most of our trip just picking up =
balloons some days - frequently celebrating birthdays, graduations, 4th =
of July, etc.  There are much better uses of helium than for our =
entertainment. Although we don't see as many opaque balloons (the =
smaller traditional balloons) as we used to, when we do there are =
usually several tied together. The largest glob of balloons we picked =
up, we actually watched drop from the sky on an overcast day and land on =
the water - over 50 of them.   Not only is the balloon a problem in =
digestive tracts, so is the long ribbon attached to the balloon.  Many =
years ago a sperm whale was found dead after ingesting a weather =
balloon.

Plastic bags are an issue both on land and on the water and so are the =
sheets of plastic that are used to wrap pallets.  Another common sight =
for us is styrofoam cups floating along - we only use refillable, =
washable cups on our boat. And there are other plastics that end up in =
the ocean that you might not expect.  A necropsy (dissection) of a minke =
whale a few years ago revealed a lid from a yogurt container in the =
whale's stomach.

Another of my pet peeves is that the beverage containers in New =
Brunswick can be redeemed but not the lids!  Needless to say, my =
beverage containers are returned with the lids.  On beach cleanups, the =
lids are one of the more common items.

Laurie Murison
Grand Manan, NB

  ----- Original Message -----=20