[NatureNS] ruining the orchids at Smileys.

Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 21:02:30 -0400
From: "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_+nVc0483u2I+VsRzLyfGiw)

I am sorry to hear of this damage.  I recently received reports of =20
apparent photographer damage at a place owned by the Nature =20
Conservancy in Vermont.  There the public is restricted to an elevated =20=

boardwalk, but someone got off the walk and trampled about a square =20
meter of the showies.

I was at Smiley's myself over a week ago with other photographers, =20
members of the Photo Guild of Nova Scotia.  We were very careful, and =20=

I do not think tripods would be a big problem if properly used, but =20
bipeds are a problem.  The human leg is fatter than the delicate leg =20
of a tripod, and the typical human has big feet, often covered with =20
boots of some sort.  Some of these hominids are also not very delicate =20=

in their movements.  The younger members of the species tend to run =20
about unless very closely supervised.

I would urge everyone (photographers, orchid-club members, general =20
naturalists, or simple lovers of beauty) please to be as careful as =20
possible with the showies, as with other delicate wild plants.  We =20
should also take time to build an appreciation in the public, and =20
gently but clearly point out the sensitivity of those plants.  What =20
more can we do?  What less could be owed by us?

=97 Paul

On Jul 5, 2008, at 7:15 PM, Heather Drope wrote:

> Quite early this morning I was at Smileys to see the Showy Ladies =20
> slipper
> orchids.This was about 9:30 am.  First there are a lot fewer then many
> years ago and the lip colour is not deep this year. What did shock me
> were the number of knocked over stems of these huge orchids  in funny
> locations that feet should never go. Blame it on deer but an =20
> elephant is
> more like it. Deer eat but hardly ever knock over stems of plants.
> There were people deeper in the fen and one of them came out towards
> the road to photograph a group and she heard me grumbling and asked
> what was wrong. Of course I told her that someone wasn't careful about
> the orchids at all. After she moved on , a light bulb went on in my =20=

> head
> and recalling the place ment of her tripod I finally figured out =20
> what is
> ruining the beautiful stand of orchids.. Tripod legs and not watching
> where they are placed.
> If anyone reading this is in there tomorrow , please caution the
> photographers about their tripod place ment. It realy was a =20
> devastation.
> Heather Drope, Nova Scotia Wild Flora Society.

--Boundary_(ID_+nVc0483u2I+VsRzLyfGiw)

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">I am sorry to hear of this =
damage. &nbsp;I recently received reports of apparent photographer =
damage at a place owned by the Nature Conservancy in Vermont. =
&nbsp;There the public is restricted to an elevated boardwalk, but =
someone got off the walk and trampled about a square meter of the =
with other photographers, members of the Photo Guild of Nova Scotia. =
&nbsp;We were very careful, and I do not think tripods would be a big =
problem if properly used, but <b>bipeds</b> are a problem. &nbsp;The =
human leg is fatter than the delicate leg of a tripod, and the typical =
human has big feet, often covered with boots of some sort. &nbsp;Some of =
these hominids are also not very delicate in their movements. &nbsp;The =
younger members of the species tend to run about unless very closely =
(photographers, orchid-club members, general naturalists, or simple =
lovers of beauty) please to be as careful as possible with the showies, =
as with other delicate wild plants. &nbsp;We should also take time to =
build an appreciation in the public, and gently but clearly point out =
the sensitivity of those plants. &nbsp;What more can we do? &nbsp;What =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"font-size: =
Drope wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><div>Quite early this morning I was at Smileys to see the =
Showy Ladies slipper <br>orchids.This was about 9:30 am. &nbsp;First =
there are a lot fewer then many <br>years ago and the lip colour is not =
deep this year. What did shock me <br>were the number of knocked over =
stems of these huge orchids &nbsp;in funny <br>locations that feet =
should never go. Blame it on deer but an elephant is <br>more like it. =
Deer eat but hardly ever knock over stems of plants.<br>There were =
people deeper in the fen and one of them came out towards <br>the road =
to photograph a group and she heard me grumbling and asked <br>what was =
wrong. Of course I told her that someone wasn't careful about <br>the =
orchids at all. After she moved on , a light bulb went on in my head =
what is <br>ruining the beautiful stand of orchids.. Tripod legs and not =
watching <br>where they are placed.<br>If anyone reading this is in =
there tomorrow , please caution the <br>photographers about their tripod =
place ment. It realy was a devastation. <br>Heather Drope, Nova Scotia =

--Boundary_(ID_+nVc0483u2I+VsRzLyfGiw)--