[NatureNS] Willow Flycatchers

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
CC: "Hawboldt, Steve" <s.hawboldt@ns.sympatico.ca>,
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 12:31:09 -0300

--_abcb8736-4136-48d3-a9c2-c7b452bd8f77_

Hello folks,
=20
  This and other recent reports of Willow Flycatchers reminded me that Shar=
on Hawboldt and Ian Roseby and others had reported one or more from the Bel=
leisle Marsh in Annapolis Co. during the past two or more years, and that I=
 had not managed to get there during the season when it would be singing.  =
So I decided to try for it yesterday (June 30), and, sure enough, there it =
was, wheezing its disyllabic "fitz'-yew" song from a small white birch (Bet=
ula papyrifera) along the dykes near the southwest corner of the area.  I t=
hink that there was a pair present, but they were secretive and I was not a=
ble to see more than one at a time in the short time that I had there.  Unf=
ortunately, they are at about the farthest point possible from the parking =
area (over 1km), at a point (for atlassers) about 100m west of the west edg=
e of the Bridgetown square (309861E, 4961526N for those with GPS units).  T=
he best look that I had was of a silent bird on the other side of the ditch=
 (the female?) that looked much like a fairly large, brownish Alder Flycatc=
her with no apparent eye-ring; I could not see the primary extension clearl=
y.  I hope that someone can confirm breeding for this species in the provin=
ce.
=20
  Lots of Bobolinks and other usual species in the vicinity, and surprising=
ly good numbers of Bank Swallows.
Wayne Neily Tremont, Kings Co., Nova Scotia "In nature's infinite book of s=
ecrecy A little I can read." - William Shakespeare, 1607.=20
> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 14:21:10 -0700> From: suzanneborkowski@yahoo.ca> S=
ubject: [NatureNS] Willow Flycatcher in Tantallon?> To: naturens@chebucto.n=
s.ca; ns-rba@yahoogroups.com> > Hi Everyone;> > Pam Mills reported seeing a=
nd hearing a Willow Flycatcher behind the Sobeys/Pierceys Mall at Exit #5, =
Tantallon. This is in my Yankeetown Square, where the Sora and the Bobolink=
s have been heard and seen.> > I tried several times to find the the WiFl, =
but never heard the characteristic "Fitz-bew" call. Azor Vienneau and I saw=
 a possible candidate in that spot about a week ago. It seemed darker, brow=
ner than most Alders with no discernible eyering and buffier wingbars. We w=
atched it fly back and forth among the shrubs in front of us - but it never=
 gave a peep! Not an alarm chip, nor a chitter, nothing!> > If you're in th=
e area, please try to check out this bird, Thanks! > > Suzanne> > > > > > _=
_________________________________________________________________> Instant =
Messaging, free SMS, sharing photos and more... Try the new Yahoo! Canada M=
essenger at http://ca.beta.messenger.yahoo.com/
Try Chicktionary, a game that tests how many words you can form from the le=
tters given. Find this and more puzzles at Live Search Games!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/207=

--_abcb8736-4136-48d3-a9c2-c7b452bd8f77_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Hello folks,<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp; This and other recent reports of Willow Flycatchers reminded me that=
 Sharon Hawboldt and Ian Roseby and others had reported one or more from th=
e Belleisle Marsh in Annapolis Co. during the past two or more years, and t=
hat I had not managed to get there during the season when it would be singi=
ng.&nbsp; So I decided to try for it yesterday (June 30), and, sure enough,=
 there it was, wheezing its disyllabic "fitz'-yew" song from a small white =
birch (<EM>Betula papyrifera</EM>) along the dykes near the southwest corne=
r of the area.&nbsp; I think that there was a pair present, but they were s=
ecretive and I was not able to see more than one at a time in the short tim=
e that I had there.&nbsp; Unfortunately, they are at about the farthest poi=
nt possible from the parking area (over 1km), at a point (for atlassers) ab=
out 100m west of the west edge of the Bridgetown square (309861E, 4961526N =
for those with GPS units).&nbsp; The best look that I had was&nbsp;of a sil=
ent bird on the other side of the ditch (the female?) that looked much like=
 a fairly large,&nbsp;brownish Alder Flycatcher with no apparent eye-ring; =
I could not see the primary extension clearly.&nbsp; I hope that someone ca=
n confirm breeding for this species in the province.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp; Lots of Bobolinks and other usual species in the vicinity, and surpr=
isingly good numbers of Bank Swallows.<BR><BR><BR>
<DIV>Wayne Neily <BR>Tremont, Kings Co., Nova Scotia <BR><BR>"In nature's i=
nfinite book of secrecy <BR>A little I can read." - William Shakespeare, 16=
07. <BR></DIV>
<DIV><BR>&gt; Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 14:21:10 -0700<BR>&gt; From: suzannebo=
rkowski@yahoo.ca<BR>&gt; Subject: [NatureNS] Willow Flycatcher in Tantallon=
?<BR>&gt; To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca; ns-rba@yahoogroups.com<BR>&gt; <BR>&=
gt; Hi Everyone;<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Pam Mills reported seeing and hearing a W=
illow Flycatcher behind the Sobeys/Pierceys Mall at Exit #5, Tantallon. Thi=
s is in my Yankeetown Square, where the Sora and the Bobolinks have been he=
ard and seen.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I tried several times to find the the WiFl, =
but never heard the characteristic "Fitz-bew" call. Azor Vienneau and I saw=
 a possible candidate in that spot about a week ago. It seemed darker, brow=
ner than most Alders with no discernible eyering and buffier wingbars. We w=
atched it fly back and forth among the shrubs in front of us - but it never=
 gave a peep! Not an alarm chip, nor a chitter, nothing!<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I=
f you're in the area, please try to check out this bird, Thanks! <BR>&gt; <=
BR>&gt; Suzanne<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; ______=
t Messaging, free SMS, sharing photos and more... Try the new Yahoo! Canada=
 Messenger at http://ca.beta.messenger.yahoo.com/<BR></DIV><br /><hr /> <a =
href=3D'' target=3D'_new'></a></body>

--_abcb8736-4136-48d3-a9c2-c7b452bd8f77_--