[NatureNS] Recycled Nests

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 17:00:51 -0300
From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644
Hi Pat and all
In my atlassing I came across a Hairy Woodpecker nest in West Intervale near
Boylson, Guys. Co. June 9. Adults were feeding young at the time. The nest
was in a snag in a beaver dam, When I retuned June 23, I was quite surprised
to see Tree Swallows busy carrying nest material into the hole vacated by
the Hairy Woodpeckers. I assume the Hairys successfully fledged. A little
different situation from your illustration, but neat to see the same nest
used twice the same year.
cheers
Ken