[NatureNS] Recycled Nests

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:45:53 -0300
From: iamclar@dal.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca,
Cc: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Patricia et al.:

I refrained from sending my own observations on nest re-use by robins until I
could learn more about it, and Patricia has scooped me!

This spring we had a Blue Jay  nest in our front-door yew in W. end Halifax, and
it was destroyed by an unknown predator, as it had been last year as well. Then
a few weeks ago what we thought was another jay tail poked over the nest, but
closer inspection showed this one to be of a robin. She sat for about a full
incubation period and then the nest was agan predated. This time we had seen a
neighbour's cat leering hungrily at the yew - circumstantial evidence is good
enough for me, and I wish that HRM council had voted them into the house.

Although there are lots of published acounts of re-use by robins of their own
and other robins' nests from current and past years, I haven't been able to
find anything on their re-use of nests of other species. Neither Bent nor
"Birds of North America" notes it. Doubtless there is some reference to it
somewhere, but Patricia has posed an interesting observation and question.

Cheers, Ian

Ian McLaren