[NatureNS] Update Piping Plovers On Cherry Hill

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 16:03:38 +0000

--_7c20737b-edc0-4042-a868-3eee044fff86_

For those who heard the CBC Maritime Noon Show last Friday things are still=
 good on Cherry Hill.  We visited today and had nine adults, 14 chicks from=
 the beach and three fledged chicks from who knows where.  So to explain th=
is better, from the first nest we lost one chick and are now down to three.=
  Less than a week to a week and these three will be able to fly.  From nes=
t three four healthy chicks, which are only a few days behind.  From nest n=
umber two four healthy chicks which are about a week behind the first hatch=
ing.  Nest number four is still being incubated with four eggs.  Nest numbe=
r five which had four eggs hatched and we saw three, about two day old chic=
ks.  We are uncertain as to what happened to the fourth egg/chick.  There a=
re a lot of predators in the area of that particular nesting.  We had an ad=
ult with three fledged chicks, which is a newcomer to the beach.  Adults fr=
om nest one and two were very territorial and kept trying to drive the newc=
omer away.
=20
Also noted were territorial confrontations between birds from nest one and =
two in regards to the two family units.
=20
A great day on the beach.  Lots of northern gannet diving, which added to t=
he pleasure of the day.
=20
James R. Hirtle
East LaHave
Find hidden words, unscramble celebrity names, or try the ultimate crosswor=
d puzzle with Live Search Games. Play now!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/212=

--_7c20737b-edc0-4042-a868-3eee044fff86_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
For those who heard the CBC Maritime Noon Show last Friday things are still=
 good on Cherry Hill.&nbsp; We visited today and had nine adults, 14 chicks=
 from the beach and three fledged chicks from who knows where.&nbsp; So to =
explain this better, from the first nest we lost one chick and are now down=
 to three.&nbsp; Less than a week to a week and these three will be able to=
 fly.&nbsp; From nest&nbsp;three&nbsp;four healthy chicks, which are only a=
 few days behind.&nbsp; From nest number two four healthy chicks which are =
about a week behind the first hatching.&nbsp; Nest number four is still bei=
ng incubated with four eggs.&nbsp; Nest number five which had four eggs hat=
ched and we saw three, about two day old chicks.&nbsp; We are uncertain as =
to what happened to the fourth egg/chick.&nbsp; There are a lot of predator=
s in the area of that particular nesting.&nbsp; We had an adult with three =
fledged chicks, which is a newcomer to the beach.&nbsp; Adults from nest on=
e and two were very territorial and kept trying to drive the newcomer away.=
<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Also noted were territorial confrontations between birds from nest one and =
two in regards to the two family units.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
A great day on the beach.&nbsp; Lots of northern gannet diving, which added=
 to the pleasure of the day.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>

--_7c20737b-edc0-4042-a868-3eee044fff86_--