Clarification Re: [NatureNS] Another Great Egret - Sackville

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 23:00:54 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_2968718==.ALT

Hi there,

         The Great Egret was still present at 8:30 p.m. on Tuesday
(17 June).   It was hunting and appeared to be having lots of success
in catching small fish and frogs.  While I was there three other
vehicles stopped to watch the bird; I spoke to everyone, and found
no-one else knew what the bird was, but they were all interested in
learning.  (Although one man called it a "snow heron", which I
thought was interesting.)

         Just to clarify, this swamp/marsh is in the Bedford
Industrial Park, in Bedford, not Sackville.  If coming along Duke
Street from Highway 102, go past the Wal-Mart, and through the set of
lights at Damascus Drive.  The swamp is just past the intersection on
the right-hand side of the road, well before you reach Rocky Lake
Drive.  The wetland is directly opposite Kel-Ann Organics.

         Alternate Directions from Bedford:  from Sunnyside, take
Highway 2 aka Rocky Lake Drive, which goes uphill between Canadian
Tire and the Petro-Can, for a few kilometres.  After passing the
turn-offs to the junior high and the high school, turn left on Duke
Street towards the Bedford Industrial Park.  The swamp is on the
left, just before Damascus Drive.

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

At 05:11 PM 17/06/2008, you wrote:
>Hi Everyone;
>
>Bob McDonald asked me to post this sighting of a Great
>Egret after being alerted to its presence by Hugh
>Broders - of St. Mary's University.
>
>The Great Egret is in a marsh off of Rocky Lake Drive.
>  Bob suggests the best way to get there is to take
>exit 4C off Highway #102 (turn right onto Duke
>Street); then turning onto Rocky Lake Drive, go past a
>set of lights and then past Wal-Mart. There's a place
>to pull off the road and park about 50-100 meters past
>Wal-Mart, just before this marsh on the right-hand
>side of the road.
>
>The Egret was seen by Bob & Wendy McDonald at 4:00 pm
>this afternoon.  It was also seen twice, yesterday, at
>11:00 am and again at 4:00 pm.  It was at the back of
>the marsh, but then it flew up into a tree giving Bob
>great photo ops!
>
>Cheers;
>Suzanne

>Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to
>Yahoo! Answers and share what you know at http://ca.answers.yahoo.com

--=====================_2968718==.ALT

<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>The Great
Egret was still present at 8:30 p.m. on Tuesday (17 June).&nbsp;&nbsp; It
was hunting and appeared to be having lots of success in catching small
fish and frogs.&nbsp; While I was there three other vehicles stopped to
watch the bird; I spoke to everyone, and found no-one else knew what the
bird was, but they were all interested in learning.&nbsp; (Although one
man called it a &quot;snow heron&quot;, which I thought was
interesting.)&nbsp; <br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Just to
clarify, this swamp/marsh is in the Bedford Industrial Park, in Bedford,
not Sackville.&nbsp; If coming along Duke Street from Highway 102, go
past the Wal-Mart, and through the set of lights at Damascus Drive.&nbsp;
The swamp is just past the intersection on the right-hand side of the
road, well before you reach Rocky Lake Drive.&nbsp; The wetland is
directly opposite Kel-Ann Organics.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Alternate
Directions from Bedford:&nbsp; from Sunnyside, take Highway 2 aka Rocky
Lake Drive, which goes uphill between Canadian Tire and the Petro-Can,
for a few kilometres.&nbsp; After passing the turn-offs to the junior
high and the high school, turn left on Duke Street towards the Bedford
Industrial Park.&nbsp; The swamp is on the left, just before Damascus
Drive.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Cheers,<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
Bob McDonald asked me to post this sighting of a Great<br>
Egret after being alerted to its presence by Hugh<br>
Broders - of St. Mary's University.<br><br>
The Great Egret is in a marsh off of Rocky Lake Drive.<br>
&nbsp;Bob suggests the best way to get there is to take<br>
exit 4C off Highway #102 (turn right onto Duke<br>
Street); then turning onto Rocky Lake Drive, go past a<br>
set of lights and then past Wal-Mart. There's a place<br>
to pull off the road and park about 50-100 meters past<br>
Wal-Mart, just before this marsh on the right-hand<br>
side of the road.<br><br>
The Egret was seen by Bob &amp; Wendy McDonald at 4:00 pm<br>
this afternoon.&nbsp; It was also seen twice, yesterday, at<br>
11:00 am and again at 4:00 pm.&nbsp; It was at the back of<br>
the marsh, but then it flew up into a tree giving Bob<br>
great photo ops!<br><br>
Cheers;<br>
Suzanne<br><br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;