[NatureNS] Interesting Birds From Sunday

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 14:56:43 +0000

--_0749e958-0b40-49f8-ac14-3e0b510f324c_

Hi all:
=20
I was pleased to visit a farm in New Elm which had 83 active cliff swallow =
nests that I could count under the eves.  Some of the holes had double entr=
ies and the nests were so tightly compacted that it was hard to judge somet=
imes if more than one nest was there.  There are 83 for sure and maybe more=
.  I was also able to count 60 barn swallow nests.  One can only imagine th=
e numbers of swallows that will be there once the young hatch.  It will be =
like times of old and something very rare now a days. =20
=20
Now the second spot that I visited of interest is confusing to me.  This wa=
s a location in West Clifford, where a man had described a nesting bird in =
his shed that sounded to me like an eastern phoebe.  Upon arrival a bird fl=
ew from the shed and the man said that is the bird.  Well, it was a barn sw=
allow.  The nest in question is different from the other swallow nests, but=
 is built on a beam like a swallow nest, and not on a beam or a shelf like =
the phoebe nest would be.  I heard a scolding call shortly after that I hav=
e not heard before and close by here was an eastern phoebe.  I pointed it o=
ut to the man and he did not seem to recognize the bird at all.  I do not k=
now if he became confused between the time of his initial report or what th=
e story is.  Anyhow, my companion who was with me noticed another bird on a=
 fence wire nearby and pointed it out to me and there was a second phoebe t=
here.  Considering the circumstances I guess I can only count the birds as =
a P and not nesting as I do not have proof of such.  I'm curious about the =
scold call though as I've never heard a phoebe do that.  This might suggest=
 aggitated behavious and a definte nest there.
=20
I saw a pair of broad-winged hawks at Union Sqaure and another at New Elm.
=20
James R. Hirtle
East LaHave
Find hidden words, unscramble celebrity names, or try the ultimate crosswor=
d puzzle with Live Search Games. Play now!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/212=

--_0749e958-0b40-49f8-ac14-3e0b510f324c_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
I was pleased to visit a farm in New Elm which had 83 active cliff swallow =
nests that I could count under the eves.&nbsp; Some of the holes had double=
 entries and the nests were so tightly compacted that it was hard to judge =
sometimes if more than one nest was there.&nbsp; There are 83 for sure and =
maybe more.&nbsp; I was also able to count 60 barn swallow nests.&nbsp; One=
 can only imagine the numbers of swallows that will be there once the young=
 hatch.&nbsp; It will be like times of old and something very rare now a da=
ys.&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Now the second spot that I visited of interest is confusing to me.&nbsp; Th=
is was a location in West Clifford, where a man had described a nesting bir=
d in his shed that sounded to me like an eastern phoebe.&nbsp; Upon arrival=
 a bird flew from the shed and the man said that is the bird.&nbsp; Well, i=
t was a barn swallow.&nbsp; The nest in question is different from the othe=
r swallow nests, but is built on a beam like a swallow nest, and not on a b=
eam or a shelf like the phoebe nest would be.&nbsp; I heard a scolding call=
 shortly after that I have not heard before and close by here was an easter=
n phoebe.&nbsp; I pointed it out to the man and he did not seem to recogniz=
e the bird at all.&nbsp; I do not know if he became confused between the ti=
me of his initial report or what the story is.&nbsp; Anyhow, my companion w=
ho was with me noticed another bird on a fence wire nearby and pointed it o=
ut to me and there was a second phoebe there.&nbsp; Considering the circums=
tances I guess I can only count the birds as a P and not nesting as I do no=
t have proof of such.&nbsp; I'm curious about the scold call though as I've=
 never heard a phoebe do that.&nbsp; This might suggest aggitated behavious=
 and a definte nest there.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
I saw a pair of broad-winged hawks at Union Sqaure and another at New Elm.<=

&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>

--_0749e958-0b40-49f8-ac14-3e0b510f324c_--