[NatureNS] ants!

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 20:36:43 -0300
From: Eleanor Lindsay <az678@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Margaret E.Millard wrote:
> Ok I can live peaceably with a number of creatures but right now I
> ahve discovered ants. Likely carpenter ants considering where they
> are. I need to do something to stop them. I thought this was done last
> year but obviously I didn't succeed. Does anyone know how to do them
> in so I don't end up poisoning the birds that might find them tasty? I
> have northern flickers (who alerted me to them.) Lots of other birds
> including Blue Jays that seem most interested.
> Oh last evening about sunset when the June bugs had lift off I watched
> a fascinating display of feeding by several Blue Jays! Really neat!
> Marg in White Point, Queens
>
> http://margmillard.ca

Having battled with, and eventually succeeded in eliminating carpenter
ants after trying several methods, I can offer you the results of my
experiences:
Firstly, the ants themselves are much bigger than the common garden type
- a much chunkier, longer build and very dark brown/black in colour,
with a almost an ebony, wine-reddish tinge. The method I found the most
effective turned out to also be the simplest, easiest and cheapest: a
sugar and borax syrup, which comes under several names in small plastic
squeeze containers and can be found in virtually all supermarkets beside
the mosquito sprays (Off!, Muskol etc and Raid products). Simply squeeze
small drops in areas where the carpenter ants are mostly seen (they can
be discretely placed so as not to be accessible to other pets or
wildlife. The most important point for thorough eradication is to use it
NOW, at this time of year, and ideally only at this time because this is
when the adult ants take it back to the nest and the whole colony is
effectively and safely eradicated.
Good luck!
Eleanor Lindsay