[NatureNS] Eastern Bluebirds, Greenwood

From: Patrick Giffin <p_giffin@hotmail.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 19:17:03 -0300

--_6ce2d6c6-68d7-4209-bf64-52704f612cdc_

12Jun08 1820
Hi:
Gerald Jansen called to say he had 2 Bluebirds trying to move into an occup=
ied, Tree Swallow Nest Box on their Greenwood property.
We discussed the field marks, deciding that it was very likely a pair as on=
e individual was much duller looking.  The Bluebirds attempted to enter the=
 nest box.  The swallows diving attacks discouraged one of the Bluebirds bu=
t the other Bluebird, Gerry thinks, the female, perched on the nest box roo=
f!  After a few minutes both finally leaving to escape the constant diving =
attacks of the swallows.  I gave Gerry a Bluebird nest box that I had built=
 years ago and never mounted.  He is going to mount it and let us know if a=
nyone moves in! We are not optimistic as the Bluebirds need for accommodati=
on seemed urgent.
It has been several years since we had E. Bluebirds near Kingston, I recall=
 three different sites that were revisited for a number of years; Barb Thom=
pson, Kingston, Gord Skanes, South Farmington and 2 nesting pairs in boxes =
at a single site in Bloomington. Gord's box was on a fence post, Barb's in =
Kingston and the two in Bloomington were on tall poles
Presently we are not aware of any Bluebirds in NS.
Cheers, Barbara and Pat
If you like crossword puzzles, then you'll love Flexicon, a game which comb=
ines four overlapping crossword puzzles into one!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/208=

--_6ce2d6c6-68d7-4209-bf64-52704f612cdc_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
<DIV>12Jun08 1820</DIV>
<DIV>Hi:</DIV>
<DIV>Gerald Jansen called to say he had 2 Bluebirds trying to move into an =
occupied, Tree Swallow Nest Box on their Greenwood property.</DIV>
<DIV>We discussed the field marks, deciding that it was very likely a pair =
as one individual was much duller looking.&nbsp; The Bluebirds attempted to=
 enter the nest box.&nbsp; The swallows diving attacks discouraged one of t=
he Bluebirds but the other Bluebird, Gerry thinks, the female, perched on t=
he nest box roof!&nbsp; After a few minutes both finally leaving to escape =
the constant diving attacks of the swallows.&nbsp; I gave Gerry a Bluebird =
nest box that I had built years ago and never mounted.&nbsp;&nbsp;He is goi=
ng to mount it and let us know if anyone moves in! We are not optimistic as=
 the Bluebirds need for accommodation seemed <U>urgent.</U></DIV>
<DIV>It has been several years since we had E. Bluebirds near Kingston, I r=
ecall three different sites that were revisited for a number of years; Barb=
 Thompson, Kingston, Gord Skanes,&nbsp;South Farmington&nbsp;and 2 nesting =
pairs in boxes at a single site in Bloomington. Gord's box was on a fence p=
ost, Barb's in Kingston&nbsp;and the&nbsp;two in Bloomington were on tall p=
oles</DIV>
<DIV>Presently we are not aware of any Bluebirds in NS.</DIV>
<DIV>Cheers, Barbara and Pat</DIV><br /><hr /> <a href=3D'' target=3D'_new'=