[NatureNS] Global Warming

Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 22:21:07 -0300
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: Nature NS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Chris, copy the figure to a graphics program (I used Corel Draw) and use
a crop tool to run a vertical line across the graph (it helps to magnify
it a bit). David's contention is clearly visible. For the spike 150,000
years ago, the 3 elements (temp, CH4, CO2) appear to have been pretty
well in lockstep, but in every other case the temp rose before the CO2
and at the same time or before the CH4. In at least one case the temp
reached its peak before the CO2 began to rise and then fell rapidly the
whole time the CO2 rose.

All of this argues, if one is concerned for science, that CO2 rises
because of temperature rise (or that both rise around the same time due
to some other cause), and CO2 does not show any noticeable tendency to
raise the temperature. If it does have a greenhouse temperature raising
effect, it is too small to show on this graph. The fact that in one
spike the temperature began to fall before the CO2 began to rise argues
against CO2 even having an additive effect of any significance to the
temperature rise

Even more interesting is the right hand figure, which shows CO2 and CH4
heading for the stratosphere (graphically speaking) at a time when
temperature is levelling out (from very rapid increase to slow
increase). It presumably speaks to the effect of human "civilization" on
the abundance of CO2 and CH4, but it is contrary to the theory that the
abundance of CO2 and CH4 is causing or will cause a further temperature
spike. That may change, of course, if temperature climbs in the next
years, but thus far the correlation appears to be in the fears of the
theorists, not in the facts.

The theories being propounded run contrary to the evidence which is
shown, which in the science I was taught, discredits the theories.

Just out of curiosity, why does nobody consider correlating what small
warming we see to the heat production of humans. Cities are noticeably
warmer than the surrounding countryside. Your home can make a
mini-climate near it in which plants will grow which won't survive
further away. Despite my efforts to insulate my house, snow melts near
the house before it does further away. We have a vastly bigger world
population that ever before, making heat in a myriad of ways. Given that
the claimed temperature increases are very small, I can imagine that it
might just be caused by our heat production. It would be a big task, I
suspect, to put some measurement on that heat production and see how it
would affect the average temps, but it might not be too hard for someone
with access to the right info to give a ball park estimate.

Don Codling