[NatureNS] Global Warming

Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 21:17:19 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Again,            June 11, 2008
    Let me assure you that I know do something about reading graphs,
approaches that can be used to minimize noise in measurements and a
couple of other things. But it seems some printers are more equal than
others and one or both of us may be to some degree dealing with printer
artifact. My printout of methane, for whatever reason, was useless,
which is why I stuck with CO2.

    My graph is 93 mm/800,000 years or 8600 years/mm and where the
variates increase rapidly (i.e. the points of interest in this case) the
lines are as thin as 0.34 mm (measured by ocular micrometer at 40X).

    But the precision of measuring an average offset, between a printed
line and a drawn line, is not constrained by the width of either line
provided the imaginary dimensionless ideal line is on average in the
middle of the printed and drawn lines and provided care is taken to
measure from the middle of one line to the middle of the other.

   A brief search failed to locate that graph that we discussed several
years ago but I did find this commentary to the effect that warming
preceeds CO2 by about 800 years.
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2004/12/co2-in-ice-cores/

    As noted previously this initial reversed order (first temp then
CO2) does not rule out a greenhouse effect that further increases
temperature by feedback.

     Qualitatively, the model that seems to fit is a warming that is
initiated by the solar cycle, a subsequent increase in CO2 & CH4 that is
caused by this warming (and  based on Ruddiman, probably even more
warming due to greenhouse effect which of course generates more of these
gasses).
Yt, DW