[NatureNS] Global Warming

From: Christopher Majka <c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 23:46:29 -0300

--Apple-Mail-75-769471896

Hi Steve,

Thanks for pointing some of this out. I've not previously followed the
connections to the Association of American Physicans and Surgeons, the
Oregon Institute of Medical Science, their entourage, and the various
dubious causes and claims that that they promote.

On 10-Jun-08, at 1:29 PM, Stephen Shaw wrote:

>   So the question Lois, Don or other potential denier-enablers need
> to address
> is why anyone would want to take this sort of publication seriously
> as evidence
> that there is a current raging scientific debate about the existence
> of global
> warming and of the anthropogenic contribution to this.  Why would
> you?  The work
> is not up to snuff scientifically and forms part of the industrial
> strength
> lobbying effort Chris has outlined in some detail.

This "industrial strength" climate-change denial movement is
particularly disturbing. For decades tobacco companies such as Phillip
Morris and RJ Reynolds (and the tobacco industry as a whole)
successfully employed disinformation tactics to neutralize attempts to
curtail or ban the sales and promotion of tobacco products. They did
this by hiring their own "experts", funding studies with questionable
methodology, publishing these findings which questioned the connection
between smoking cigarettes and lung cancer, launching petitions,
hiring sophisticated marketing and public relations companies to
design campaigns propagandizing various obfuscations. They were
successfully able to staunch efforts to curtail tobacco sales and
advertising by creating the illusion that there was no scientific
consensus on the smoking-lung cancer connection; the jury was still
out; scientists were still debating; scientific studies studies were
equivocal, etc. A memo from tobacco company Brown and Williamson
stated that:

"Doubt is our product since it is the best means of competing with the
"body of fact" that exists in the mind of the general public. It is
also the means of establishing a controversy."

I've no idea how profitable this campaign was for the tobacco industry
over the years. I know that presently 5.5 trillion cigarettes are
smoked annually and that the 1999 sales of just the Altira Group,
British American Tobacco, Japan Tobacco, and R.J. Reynolds totaled
$114.9 billion. Multiply this over a few decades. What's the fall-out
of this? The Canadian Lung Association (CLA) estimates that tobacco
smoking kills between 40,000-45,000 Canadians every year. In the
United States the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
estimates 438,000 deaths every year. The World Health Organization
(WHO) estimates that tobacco currently kills 5.4 million people/year.

When I observe these same tactics, in some cases being promulgated by
the same front organizations, with campaigns developed by some of the
same agencies, fronted in some instances by the same "scientists" who
have miraculously morphed from being "experts" on lung cancer to being
"experts" on climate change, I become profoundly concerned. I won't
clutter up NatureNS the details, but for interested readers the
Wikipedia entry on the climate change denial movement has lots of
information and is cross-linked to a plethora of other pages and
sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_denial

The connections between the two denial movements are discussed in
detail in George Monbiot's book, "Heat". An extract from book was
published by The Guardian in Great Britain:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2006/sep/19/ethicalliving.g2

Tragic as the deaths of 5.4 million people a year is, this could pale
in comparison to the consequences of unchecked global warming.

This climate change denial movement has been funded in large measure
by fossil fuel companies concerned with profitability. I've no idea
how much the fossil fuel industry is worth but I know that Saudia
Arabia, the largest oil producing country, is projected to take in
$163 billion in oil revenues this year, and Exxon, the largest
publicly-traded oil company, takes in $1 billion/day and posted a
fourth-quarter profit in 2007 of $11.7 billion ($1,300/second! ;->).
Exxon, in their "Corporate Citizenship Report" to their shareholder's
meeting in 2008 noted that it has spent $23 million since 1998 funding
the climate change denial industry.

However, some of this lobbying has become so problematic that Exxon
has been forced to sever its links. In this 2008 Corporate Citizenship
Report, Exxon announced that, "in 2008 we will discontinue
contributions to several public policy interest groups whose position
on climate change could divert attention from the important discussion
on how the world will secure the energy required for economic growth
in an environmentally responsible manner."

Who are these groups? According to the Reuters news agency they
include, the George C. Marshall Institute, the Committe for a
Constructive Tomorrow (CFACT), Frontiers of Freedom, etc. Astute
readers of this thread will recall that the George C. Marshall
Institute is the conservative think tank that co-funded "The Petition
Project." Even Exxon has found it politically embarrassing to continue
its association with groups such as these.

Best wishes,

Chris

Christopher Majka - Atlantic Canada Coleoptera
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Environment/NHR/atlantic_coleoptera.html
c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca

--Apple-Mail-75-769471896

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Hi =
previously followed the connections to the&nbsp;Association of American =
Physicans and Surgeons, the&nbsp;Oregon Institute of Medical Science, =
their entourage, and the various&nbsp;dubious&nbsp;causes and claims =
PM, Stephen Shaw wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><div>&nbsp;&nbsp;So the question Lois, Don or other =
potential denier-enablers need to address<br>is why anyone would want to =
take this sort of publication seriously as evidence<br>that there is a =
current raging scientific debate about the existence of =
global<br>warming and of the anthropogenic contribution to this. =
&nbsp;Why would you? &nbsp;The work<br>is not up to snuff scientifically =
and forms part of the industrial strength<br>lobbying effort Chris has =
"industrial strength" cli