[NatureNS] Global Warming - a bit long

Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 22:30:48 -0300
From: "Richard Stern" <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_25678_8957942.1213147848326

Hi too,

I have been reading this thread with interest, but till now have
deliberately kept silent, and don't wish to get into a lengthy on-line
discussion with people who believe stuff and will never change their beliefs
whatever the evidence. But I do think, Well said Patrick!

I have no doubt that large numbers of highly qualified experts could have
been found (and probably were) to state that Galileo was wrong despite the
objective evidence to the contrary, and likewise the same for Wegener's
theory of Continental drift, which was pooh-pooed by many experts. Nowadays
there can't be too many people who believe that Jupiter's moons don't rotate
around Jupiter, or that plate tectonics are a fallacy. These are both
obvious examples of subsequent facts trumping the opinions of many of the
experts at the time, and which have been supported by much experimental
evidence coming from many different directions.

There is an excellent book - Heat, by George Monbiot, which sets out in good
and seemingly objective lay terms the evidence for and against global
warming, and the evidence for and against it being caused by human activity
- and then goes on to postulate that regardless of the cause, we need to do
something about it, since the cost (financial and human) of not doing so
will in the long run far exceed the cost of ignoring it. He then goes on to
suggest some of those things, and includes the number crunching with regard
to carbon capture, the cost of mining uranium for nuclear power, the use of
different and new forms of public transport, etc. etc. A  good read for
anyone interested in this subject from any perspective.

Best wishes,

Richard

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 9:25 PM, Patrick Kelly <patrick.kelly@dal.ca> wrote:

> Hi everyone:
>
> I do teach all of my first-year students how the scientific method works.
> It has been adequately explained by others. Unlike religion, politics,
> economics, astrology, etc. the scientific method is a self-correcting
> mechanism. It is not based on opinion, per se, as the "general" view can be
> changed when new data is found. There is also a big disconnect between what
> a scientist means by "theory" compared to what the average person means. To
> a layman, "theory" is the same as "best guess". In science, "theory" means a
> large body of consistent knowledge for which there no exceptions have been
> found. That is why the "theory" of relativity or evolution by natural
> selection, etc are held in such high regard. There is an old saying that a
> first-rate theory predicts, a second-rate theory forbids, and a third-rate
> explains after the fact. Every time that a new technology has been made to
> test relativity, or a new prediction has been developed, the experimental
> results are in perfect agreement with the theory. While climate is a bit
> messier to deal with (climate is what you expect, weather is what you get) I
> think that the theoretical models of what will change seem to be consistent
> with what is being observed.

#################
Dr.Richard Stern,
70 Exhibition St.
Kentville, NS, Canada
B4N 4K9

Richard Stern,
317 Middle Dyke Rd.
Port Williams, NS, Canada
B0P 1T0

rbstern@ns.sympatico.ca
rbstern@xcountry.tv
sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

------=_Part_25678_8957942.1213147848326

Hi too,<br><br>I have been reading this thread with interest, but till now =
have deliberately kept silent, and don&#39;t wish to get into a lengthy on-=
line discussion with people who believe stuff and will never change their b=
eliefs whatever the evidence. But I do think, Well said Patrick!<br>
ve been found (and probably were) to state that Galileo was wrong despite t=
he objective evidence to the contrary, and likewise the same for Wegener&#3=
9;s theory of Continental drift, which was pooh-pooed by many experts. Nowa=
days there can&#39;t be too many people who believe that Jupiter&#39;s moon=
s don&#39;t rotate around Jupiter, or that plate tectonics are a fallacy. T=
hese are both obvious examples of subsequent facts trumping the opinions of=
 many of the experts at the time, and which have been supported by much exp=
erimental evidence coming from many different directions.<br>
 good and seemingly objective lay terms the evidence for and against global=
 warming, and the evidence for and against it being caused by human activit=
y - and then goes on to postulate that regardless of the cause, we need to =
do something about it, since the cost (financial and human) of not doing so=
 will in the long run far exceed the cost of ignoring it. He then goes on t=
o suggest some of those things, and includes the number crunching with rega=
rd to carbon capture, the cost of mining uranium for nuclear power, the use=
 of different and new forms of public transport, etc. etc. A&nbsp; good rea=
d for anyone interested in this subject from any perspective.<br>
n Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 9:25 PM, Patrick Kelly &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:patrick=
.kelly@dal.ca">patrick.kelly@dal.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"=
gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0p=
t 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Hi everyone:<br>
I do teach all of my first-year students how the scientific method works. I=
t has been adequately explained by others. Unlike religion, politics, econo=
mics, astrology, etc. the scientific method is a self-correcting mechanism.=
 It is not based on opinion, per se, as the &quot;general&quot; view can be=
 changed when new data is found. There is also a big disconnect between wha=
t a scientist means by &quot;theory&quot; compared to what the average pers=
on means. To a layman, &quot;theory&quot; is the same as &quot;best guess&q=
uot;. In science, &quot;theory&quot; means a large body of consistent knowl=
edge for which there no exceptions have been found. That is why the &quot;t=
heory&quot; of relativity or evolution by natural selection, etc are held i=
n such high regard. There is an old saying that a first-rate theory predict=
s, a second-rate theory forbids, and a third-rate explains after the fact. =
Every time that a new technology has been made to test relativity, or a new=
 prediction has been developed, the experimental results are in perfect agr=
eement with the theory. While climate is a bit messier to deal with (climat=
e is what you expect, weather is what you get) I think that the theoretical=
 models of what will change seem to be consistent with what is being observ=
ed.<br>

rbstern@ns.sympatico.ca<br><=
a href=3D"mailto:rbstern@xcountry.tv">rbstern@xcountry.tv</a><br><a href=3D=
"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>#############=