[NatureNS] tides

Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 18:05:10 -0400
From: "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_zrr266ySC9nDk7IaOMbzzw)

I think that you missed part of the discussion (lucky for you?).  We
all agree that the moon influences the tides.  In fact, it is about
twice as important as the sun for causing tides.  Then there are other
influences, such as the shape, size, and orientation of the shoreline,
and water depths approaching the continent.

Where the discussion got lively is that I maintain that tides are
about the only thing of importance that the moon does.  It has nothing
significant to do with times of frost, or weather in general; nothing
to do with the chemistry of sauerkraut-making.

On Jun 8, 2008, at 4:11 PM, dowitcher wrote:

> i may have read this wrong but to say the moon does not affect the
> tides.    we watch for the full and new moons to get our best tides
> to go out the farthrerest to get to the clams.
>    now the tide  at or near dawn will go out lots farther .
>   than a low tide in the afternoon the sun kill it as the oldtimers
> say.
>     a little common sense goes a long ways.

>>> Jane
>>> p.s.  Is there a listserve or other web-based discussion group for
>>> gardening that is specific to our climate?
>>> Release Date: 6/7/2008 11:17 AM

--Boundary_(ID_zrr266ySC9nDk7IaOMbzzw)

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">I think that you missed part of =
the discussion (lucky for you?). &nbsp;We all agree that the moon =
influences the tides. &nbsp;In fact, it is about twice as important as =
the sun for causing tides. &nbsp;Then there are other influences, such =
as the shape, size, and orientation of the shoreline, and water depths =
lively is that I maintain that tides are about the only thing of =
importance that the moon does. &nbsp;It has nothing significant to do =
with times of frost, or weather in general; nothing to do with the =
chemistry of =
2008, at 4:11 PM, dowitcher wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><span =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Times; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: auto; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0; "><div bgcolor=3D"#ffffff" =
style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><div><font face=3D"Arial" =
size=3D"2">i may have read this wrong but to say the moon does not =
affect the tides.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; we watch for the full and new moons =
to get our best tides to go out the farthrerest to get to the =
the tide&nbsp; at or near dawn will go out lots farther =
tide in the afternoon the sun kill it as the oldtimers =
face=3D"Arial" size=3D"2">&nbsp;</font></div><blockquote dir=3D"ltr" =
style=3D"padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 5px; margin-left: 5px; =
border-left-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); border-left-width: 2px; =
border-left-style: solid; margin-right: 0px; "><div style=3D"font: =
normal normal normal 10pt/normal arial; ">----- Original Message =
-----</div><div style=3D"background-image: initial; background-repeat: =
initial; background-attachment: initial; -webkit-background-clip: =
initial; -webkit-background-origin: initial; background-color: rgb(228, =
228, 228); font: normal normal normal 10pt/normal arial; =
background-position: initial initial; "><b>From:</b><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
title=3D"roland.mccormick@ns.sympatico.ca" =
href=3D"mailto:roland.mccormick@ns.sympatico.ca">Roland =
McCormick</a></div><div style=3D"font: normal normal normal 10pt/normal =
title=3D"naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" =
href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a></div><=
div style=3D"font: normal normal normal 10pt/normal arial; =
June 08, 2008 11:15 AM</div><div style=3D"font: normal normal normal =
10pt/normal arial; "><b>Subject:</b><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span>Re: [NatureNS] when to =
seem Paul that you not only have not had any experience working in =
agriculture, but that you have never watched the fundy tides. Someone =
remarked that they visited Bear River when the tides were out and they =
knew why it was called Bare River. When the tide was in the water would =
rise to make a good lake for boating and swimming.&nbsp; I believe in =
some areas the tide will rise on the full moon to as much as forty feet =
- at the new moon it is much less than that, but slowly increases in =
size=3D"2">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; What I have seen =
happen has to be believed, even if some can't believe =
size=3D"2"></font>&nbsp;</div><blockquote dir=3D"ltr" =
style=3D"padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 5px; margin-left: 5px; =
border-left-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); border-left-width: 2px; =
border-left-style: solid; margin-right: 0px; "><div style=3D"font: =
normal normal normal 10pt/normal arial; ">----- Original Message =
-----</div><div style=3D"background-image: initial; background-repeat: =
initial; background-attachment: initial; -webkit-background-clip: =
initial; -webkit-background-origin: initial; background-color: rgb(228, =
228, 228); font: normal normal normal 10pt/normal arial; =
background-position: initial initial; "><b>From:</b><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
title=3D"psboyer@eastlink.ca" href=3D"mailto:psboyer@eastlink.ca">Paul =
S. Boyer</a></div><div style=3D"font: normal normal normal 10pt/normal =
title=3D"naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" =
href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a></div><=
div style=3D"font: normal normal normal 10pt/normal arial; =
 June 07, 2008 10:39 PM</div><div style=3D"font: normal normal normal =
10pt/normal arial; "><b>Subject:</b><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span>Re: [NatureNS] when to =
for the effect of the moon on human behavior, it sounds so plausible. =
&nbsp;The trouble is that people who actually keep the statistics report =
no significant correlation between phase of the moon and crime. =
&nbsp;It's another urban myth: a modern superstition. &nbsp;Day of the =
week makes more difference by far, because when people are off work, =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><i>National =
wrong about this. &nbsp;You can't believe all that they publish. =
&nbsp;The prevalence of websites promoting such ideas just shows that =
modern people are just a gullible as people of the =
miniscule that until recent years it was undetectable in the laboratory. =
&nbsp;On land, the tides raise the surface of the earth about one meter =
from high to low tide. &nbsp;You can detect the change in gravitational =
attraction caused by this deformation, which moves you about one meter =
farther from the center of the Earth (that is one meter out of a radius =
of about 6,370,000 meters!) using a gravimeter; but the actual tidal =
force is so tiny that you cannot so measure =
explanation for things such as plant growth is pure superstition. =
&nbsp;It is at attempt to give a scientific-sounding basis to ancient =
Joan Czapalay wrote:</div><br =
grandparents &nbsp;( both the maternal- Puritan ones and the paternal =
Irish ones and Lunenburg German ones) planted by the moon. The plants =
growing up above the ground were best planted as the moon waxed in late =
May/early June, and the ones growing below the ground were best planted =
as the moon waned.<br>Bartenders, schoolteachers, emergency room workers =
and the police know that the moon influences a lot of things, including =
human behavior. National Geographic News had an article on moon =
gardening July10th, 2003. This quote may be helpful:<br><blockquote =
the example that the best time to turn over a garden is during the last =
quarter of the moon because that is when the water table has dropped to =
its lowest point. "It means less moisture is within the soil. It is far =
easier to turn soil over when there is less moisture in it," he =
said.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
Boom*<br></blockquote><blockquote =
preserve knowledge about moon-gardening techniques before they were =
eclipsed entirely by modern gardening practices, Harris wrote /RJ =
Harris' Moon Gardening/ with the help of journalist Will =
Summers.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
book's September 2002 publication, Harris said he learned he need not =
have worried.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
has heard from people in New Zealand, Austria, Germany, and the United =
States who use the lunar cycle as a guide for their gardening chores. =
And the Internet is sprouting with Web sites dedicated to the =
practice.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
Gardening by the Moon.com (<a =
href=3D"http://www.gardeningbythemoon.com">www.gardeningbythemoon.com</a>)=
, Caren Catterall writes, "Plants respond to the same gravitational pull =
of tides that affect the oceans, which alternately stimulates root and =
leaf growth. Seeds sprout more quickly, plants grow vigorously and at an =
optimum rate, harvests are larger and they don't go to seed as =
Many questions asked on naturens can be answered by using great search =
engines like Google and YouTube. However, it is fun to share personal =
observations and experiences. Cheers, Joan<br><br>David&amp;Jane =
Schlosberg wrote:<br><blockquote type=3D"cite">One more thought about =
planting times: &nbsp;I feel that later plantings tend to catch up with =
earlier ones, even if the earlier ones are not harmed by extremely cold =
nights. &nbsp;For example, if I plant beans and they come up when it's =
still cool, then I plant more 10 days later, I get mature beans only 2-3 =
days earlier from the early planting. &nbsp;The same seems true for =
peas. &nbsp;The early-planted ones will yield a bit earlier, but the =
difference is very slight.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
&nbsp;Is there a listserve or other web-based discussion group for =
gardening that is specific to our climate?<br></blockquote><blockquote =