[NatureNS] Global Warming

From: Christopher Majka <c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 23:58:45 -0300

--Apple-Mail-9-597408298

Lois,

What I actually wrote (below) says nothing of the sort:

> There are a coterie of climate change deniers who (primarily for
> ideological, or more frequently financial, reasons) would like to
> keep alive the notion that anthropogenic climate change is still a
> "debatable" topic. It is interesting (and insightful) that many of
> these same people, organizations, public relations and ad firms,
> etc. that constitute the "denial industry" are (in one guise or
> another) the same as those who were employed by the tobacco industry
> for years making claims that there was no evidence that smoking was
> related to lung cancer.

This does not in any way refer to, "the scientists who signed the
Petition Project," as you incorrectly imply. It is, moreover,
demonstrably true. For example, the CBC-TV's Fifth Estate documentary,
"The Denial Machine" contains an excellent discussion of the topic
saying:

Who Is Keeping The Debate Of Global Warming Alive?

"The documentary shows how fossil fuel corporations have kept the
global warming debate alive long after most scientists believed that
global warming was real and had potentially catastrophic consequences.
It shows that companies such as Exxon Mobil are working with top
public relations firms and using many of the same tactics and
personnel as those employed by Phillip Morris and RJ Reynolds to
dispute the cigarette-cancer link in the 1990s. Exxon Mobil sought out
those willing to question the science behind climate change, providing
funding for some of them, their organizations and their studies."

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/denialmachine/

I then continued by writing:

> I don't take this "petition" at face value. The facts of climate
> change speak for themselves irrespective of what we may be sick of
> hearing or not.

And continued in the following post to say that:

In view of what you wrote:

> The path to truth is by dealing with arguments, not by slinging mud.

The first step is to pay attention to what I actually wrote (and not a
concocted version of it). As for an "ad hominem argument," by
employing terms such as "slinging mud" it could be argued that this is
precisely what you have done.

The larger point, however, is excellently stated by Joseph Romm, in
his Salon article, who wrote that:

"What matters is scientific findings -- data, not opinions. The IPCC
relies on the peer-reviewed scientific literature for its conclusions,
which must meet the rigorous requirements of the scientific method and
which are inevitably scrutinized by others seeking to disprove that
work. That is why I cite and link to as much research as is possible,
hundreds of studies in the case of this article. Opinions are
irrelevant."

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/02/27/global_warming_deniers/index.html

Trying to prove or disprove the validity of climate change using
petitions, is itself a diversionary tactic. To paraphrase Romm, in
this context, petitions are irrelevant. What matters is scientific
findings.

Kind regards,

Chris

Christopher Majka - Atlantic Canada Coleoptera
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Environment/NHR/atlantic_coleoptera.html
c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca

--Apple-Mail-9-597408298

8-Jun-08, at 9:23 PM, Lois Codling wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div>So =
[...]
you incorrectly imply.&nbsp;It is, moreover, demonstrably true. For =
example, the&nbsp;CBC-TV's Fifth Estate documentary,&nbsp;"The Denial =
Machine" contains an excellent discussion of the topic =
fuel corporations have kept the global warming debate alive long after =
most scientists believed that global warming was real and had =
potentially catastrophic consequences. It shows that companies such as =
Exxon Mobil are working with top public relations firms and using many =
of the same tactics and personnel as those employed by Phillip Morris =
and RJ Reynolds to dispute the cigarette-cancer link in the 1990s. Exxon =
Mobil sought out those willing to question the science behind climate =
change, providing funding for some of them, their organizations and =
href=3D"http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/denialmachine/">http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/de=
don't take this "petition" at face value. The facts of clima