[NatureNS] phases of the moon

Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 21:23:15 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi All,                June 8, 2008
    I expect we all agree that 'It is bad luck to be superstitious'. But
it is a good idea not to entirely discount anything until it has been
tested. Some things that we take for granted (gravity, light, magnetism,
electromagnetic radiation in general) are strange but because they have
been extensively investigated and widely experienced nobody questions them.

    My first question about sauerkraut/moon effects would be, what
happens if the batch is started at some other phase of the moon ? Does
it ferment as it should or does it fail ?

calendars or other convenient ways of keeping track of time or receipes
but everybody had the moon. So this receipe might have originated as a
mneumonic way to record the experience that fermentation of sauerkraut
takes about two moons. And it could be one of these fermentations that
release gas as two peaks; from solutes  immediately available for
fermentation and from polymers that must first be hydrolized to
fermentable solutes.

Yours truly, Dave Webster, Kentville