[NatureNS] when to plant / Lady's Slipper plants

Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 21:14:41 -0400
From: "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_zxqV29rn/4onnqMRgiJdpg)

Joyce,

Phases of the moon have no practical effect on weather and climate, =20
although there is much silly folklore on the matter.

Pansies are not very heat-tolerant, but we have some which do well on =20=

a veranda with adequate watering until into August.

With your veggies, the key is to avoid frost.  If a late frost is =20
predicted after you plant, cover the plants with a ground cloth or =20
plastic sheet of some sort.  The heat from the ground will usually be =20=

enough to keep the delicate seedlings from freezing.

A cold frame does the same thing.  The name cold frame simply means =20
that there is no active heating, but the frame gets its heat from the =20=

ground, and the glass prevents convection from exposing the plants to =20=

cold air.

=97Paul

On Jun 6, 2008, at 5:19 AM, Joyce Norris wrote:

> I was trying to find out when it is safe to put out annuals and =20
> plants like cantaloupes, peppers, tomatoes (i.e. actual plants not =20
> the seeds). I found a frost chart but there is no way I would have =20
> put these plants out going by that - in May. The plants I am =20
> wondering about are all less cold tolerant. Its not just frost per =20
> se. I already did the pansies, peas, beets, spinach, etc. but =20
> nothing like  impatiens, beans, etc. I have some overachieving pansy =20=

> plants that bloomed all winter for the last two winters then they =20
> don't look so great over the summer when they should be doing best.
>
> I thought you were safe after a certain moon phase in June but I =20
> know it was down to 5C overnight, if not lower, with a cold heavy =20
> dew so if I went by the new moon (June 3) I don't know all of the =20
> plants would have been "happy" being outside unprotected. One good =20
> thing about having a carport and breezeway - at least they can get =20
> hardened a bit before being planted.
>
> So much for the Weather Network claiming the low would be 5C, at =20
> 0555 I went out and looked at the thermometer - it is right on zero. =20=

> Yeesh!
>
> Very pleased to see several lady slipper plants in bloom behind =20
> Fultz House in Sackville Wednesday. One was in an obvious spot the =20
> others you had to look for a bit. They are a protected plant, aren't =20=

> they. If so, they didn't have any sign about not picking them. Do =20
> the yellow ones come out the same time as the pink ones?
>
> Thx
> Joyce

--Boundary_(ID_zxqV29rn/4onnqMRgiJdpg)

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; =
effect</b> on weather and climate, although there is much silly folklore =
heat-tolerant, but we have some which do well on a veranda with adequate =
the key is to avoid frost. &nbsp;If a late frost is predicted after you =
plant, cover the plants with a ground cloth or plastic sheet of some =
sort. &nbsp;The heat from the ground will usually be enough to keep the =
does the same thing. &nbsp;The name cold frame simply means that there =
is no active heating, but the frame gets its heat from the ground, and =
the glass prevents convection from exposing the plants to cold =
2008, at 5:19 AM, Joyce Norris wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><span =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Times; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: auto; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0; "><div bgcolor=3D"#ffffff"><div><font =
face=3D"Book Antiqua" size=3D"2">I was trying to find out when it is =
safe to put out annuals and plants like cantaloupes, peppers, tomatoes =
(i.e. actual plants not the seeds). I found a frost chart but there is =
no way I would have put these plants out going by that - in May. The =
plants I am wondering about are all less cold tolerant. Its not just =
frost per se. I already did the pansies, peas, beets, spinach, etc. but =
nothing like &nbsp;impatiens, beans, etc. I have some overachieving =
pansy plants that bloomed all winter for the last two winters then they =
don't look so great over the summer when they should be doing =
size=3D"2">I thought you were safe after a certain moon phase in June =
but I know it was down to 5C overnight, if not lower, with a cold heavy =
dew so if I went by the new moon (June 3) I don't know all of the plants =
would have been "happy" being outside unprotected. One good thing about =
having a carport and breezeway - at least they can get hardened a bit =
size=3D"2">So much for the Weather Network claiming the low would be 5C, =
at 0555 I went out and looked at the thermometer - it is right on zero. =
size=3D"2">Very pleased to see several lady slipper plants in =
bloom&nbsp;behind Fultz House in Sackville Wednesday. One was in an =
obvious spot the others you had to look for a bit. They are a protected =
plant, aren't they. If so, they didn't have any sign about not picking =
them. Do the yellow ones come out the same time as the pink =
ody></html>=

--Boundary_(ID_zxqV29rn/4onnqMRgiJdpg)--