[NatureNS] phases of the moon

From: "Roland McCormick" <roland.mccormick@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 21:22:22 -0300

Another place where the moon enters in to the farming picture is in the
making of saur krout. The cabbage is cut up and placed in a barrel, salted,
and then pounded.  This should be done on the new moon, and as the moon gets
larger the pickle rises on the krout until at the full moon the krout is
swimming in pickle. After the full moon it disappears, then rises again as
the moon increases in size. I presume that the process is the same as the
reason the moon influences the tides.
      What I never understood is why, after you had let the krout go through
this process for a couple of months you could put the barrel outdoors and
let the krout freeze, and the pickle would never rise again.

Roland