[NatureNS] when to plant / Lady's Slipper plants

Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 23:04:30 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&gt;     pansy plants that bloomed all winter for the l

Joyce Norris wrote:

> I went to the Fultz House website and saw they weren't open until July
> but I sent them an email about possibly putting a sign up not to pick
> Lady's Slippers. I know not to pick them but since I did see several
> plants with only leaves I imagine others don't (or just say the heck
> with it and pick them).
>

> Joyce

Hi All,            June 6, 2008
    It is entirely normal for more than half of these plants to not have
flowers in a given year so presence of leaves only certainly does not
demonstrate that someone picked a flower.

    If a human picks a flower then the scape will be present as a short
stub. When animals 'pick' these flowers then the scape remnant is long.

Yt, DW