[NatureNS] phases of the moon

Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 23:04:12 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Chris & All,            June 6, 2008
    This is one of those cases where it helps to have been there.

    Prior to the 1950's and perhaps even later public weather forecasts
were crude to absent. A lot hinged on being able to read weather signs
not only for frost but incoming storms, colder weather, rain etc. so
country people were constantly aware of subtle indicators. There were no
doubt many sayings that were pure superstition but some seemed to hold
true and the full moon effect, in the Cambridge area, did seem to be one
of these.

    All farmers then would have been fully aware that clear skies and
calm air were preconditions of frost. You don't stay up all night to
light smudge fires at the critical time, and then work the next day,
just for the fun of it. And people would have understood this cloud
effect from way back because the  rate of skin cooling after sunset is,
other things being equal, noticably less when clouds move in.

    It would be interesting however to see some actual tabulations of
frost/moon interactions in apt locations. I don't think there would be
an effect far from the Minas Basin/ Bay of Fundy or similar esturary.

    My nephews do a lot of irrigation for frost and may have some good
records so I will ask about this.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville