[NatureNS] Most common insect in NS

From: Christopher Majka <c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 13:07:53 -0300

--Apple-Mail-163--132844374

Hi Gerald,

There are all fascinating questions, but no one has the answers to any
of these. It would require an enormous amount of research to be able
to even guess at an answer. Even in relation to beetles (on which I
conduct research) I wouldn't have the faintest hope of being able to
answer your question! :0>

Just for fun, however, I took a quick look at the eight most species-
rich families of beetles in the province:

Staphylinidae (rove beetles) - 439 species
Carabidae (ground beetles) - 290 species
Curculionidae (weevils) - 227 species
Chrysomelidae (leaf beetles) - 176 species
Elateridae (click beetles) - 110 species
Cerambycidae (longhorn beetles) - 92 species
Dytiscide (predaceous diving beetles) - 89 species
Hydrophilidae (water scavenger beetles) - 60 species

There are 1,483 species in this grouping, almost 2/3 of the species
known in the province. Of these, only the following six species have
been recorded from every county in the province:

Philonthus caeruleipennis (Mannerheim) - rove beetle
Harpalus rufipes (DeGeer) - ground beetle
Otiorhynchus sulcatus (Fabricius) - weevil
Dalopius vagus Brown - click beetle
Melanotus castanipes (Paykull) - click beetle
Ilybius biguttulus (Germar) - diving beetle

There are 14 additional species that have been recorded from 17 of the
18 counties in NS.

So, even for one of the best known groups of insects in the province
(beetles), there are only a handful (if you happen to have six
fingers) of species that have been recorded (even at the level of
county) from across the province, and we can, of course, say very
little about the relative abundance of these species.

In contrast to the situation with birds, where resources like the
Atlas of Breeding Birds of the Maritime Provinces gives very specific
estimates on the breeding populations of all the breeding birds found
in the region, when it comes to insects we are decades (centuries? :-
 >) away from anything even remotely similar. For that reason, I
always urge people to collect and report even common species of
beetles, particularly in areas like Antigonish, Richmond, Shelburne,
and Digby counties, where we lack records of even many common species.

All the best!

Chris

On 31-May-08, at 11:56 AM, Gerald Ruderman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am curious to know what is the most common insect in Nova Scotia?
> By genus or species or higher rank.
>
> I am curious about several measures of common. How many are there at
> one time? How many are there over the year? As well as by population
> what is most common in terms of most mass?
>
> Thanks

Christopher Majka
Nova Scotia Museum, 1747 Summer St., Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada  B3H
3A6
c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca

--Apple-Mail-163--132844374

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; =
no one has the answers to any of these. It would require an enormous =
amount of research to be able to even guess at an answer. Even in =
relation to beetles (on which I conduct research) I wouldn't have the =
faintest hope of being able to answer your question! =
at the eight most species-rich families of beetles in the =
species</div><div>Carabidae (ground beetles) - 290 =
species</div><div>Curculionidae (weevils) - 227 =
species</div><div>Chrysomelidae (leaf beetles) - 176 =
species</div><div>Elateridae (click beetles) - 110 =
species</div><div>Cerambycidae (longhorn beetles) - 92 =
species</div><div>Dytiscide (predaceous diving beetles) - 89 =
species</div><div>Hydrophilidae (water scavenger beetles) - 60 =
grouping, almost 2/3 of the species known in the province. Of these, =
only the following six species have been recorded from every county in =
have been recorded from 17 of the 18 counties in =
groups of insects in the province (beetles), there are only a handful =
(if you happen to have six fingers) of species that have been recorded =
(even at the level of county) from across the province, and we can, of =
course, say very little about the relative abundance of these =
birds, where resources like the&nbsp;Atlas of Breeding Birds of the =
Maritime Provinces gives very specific estimates on the breeding =
populations of all the breeding birds found in the region, when it comes =
to insects we are decades (centuries? :->) away from anything even =
remotely similar. For that reason, I always urge people to collect and =
report even common species of beetles, particularly in areas like =
Antigonish, Richmond, Shelburne, and Digby counties, where we lack =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite">Hi,<br><br