[NatureNS] RE: Turkey Vultures on Brier Is., and cardinals in Yarmouth

Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 08:42:17 -0400
From: "Laviolette, Lance (EXP)" <lance.laviolette@lmco.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi everyone,

To add to what I wrote yesterday and what Eric has written today, the
first reported record of Turkey Vulture that I know of for Brier Island
was a bird seen by lightkeeper Wickerson Lent 8 October, 1961. Eric's
conclusion that the source of the Turkey Vultures on Brier is probably
Maine or New Brunswick is supported by the Maritime Breeding Bird Atlas
work which has a number of confirmed and probable breeding sites in
southern New Brunswick but none as of yet anywhere in Nova Scotia. Their
increase through New Brunswick since the first atlas (20+ years ago) is
quite apparent so it's certainly only a matter of time before a nest is
found in NS.

Since Northern Cardinals were mentionned in the original email I'll add
that the first reported sighting that I'm aware of them from Brier was
10 November, 1974 by Larry Neily and H. McGloin.

All the best,

Lance