[NatureNS] NatureNS] Tick warning

Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 08:03:40 -0400
From: "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-5--320296884

The tick you report (Dermocentor variabilis) is spread and encouraged =20=

by dog ownership, sorry to say.  You should learn to recognize it: =20
males and females look quite different.

It is the commonest carrier of the dreaded Rocky Mountain Spotted =20
Fever, a rickettsial infection with a discouragingly high fatality =20
rate (roughly 5 to 30% in untreated cases).  The disease is rare, and =20=

I don't know whether it has been reported from Nova Scotia =97 but that =20=

in itself makes it more dangerous should you contract it, because the =20=

local doctors may be unfamiliar with the symptoms.  Many doctors have =20=

never seen a case, even in areas where it is relatively abundant (such =20=

as eastern Massachusetts).

Dog ticks will readily bite humans, but generally they crawl around a =20=

bit, prospecting (as it were) before they dig in.  Therefore, a good =20
practice is to strip down completely after being out in woods or =20
grasslands, and have someone inspect you thoroughly.  (This is where =20
friendship counts!)  The ticks can be killed simply by dropping them =20
into a jar of water with a small amount of wetting agent (soap or =20
detergent).  The tick will fall to the bottom of the jar and drown =20
after a few hours.  It is not necessary to use kerosene to kill the =20
ticks (which is an old country practice, but introduces its own =20
dangers).

After handling ticks, wash your hands well, for the rickettsia can be =20=

transmitted by contact, particularly contact with mangled ticks.

The treatment for Rock Mountain Spotted Fever is very simple, cheap, =20
and effective.  The problem is getting the physician to recognize the =20=

symptoms in time.  There should be no delay.

There is a good Wikipedia article here: =
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Mountain_spotted_fever

The only inaccuracy in the article is its implication that treatment =20
had to await the discovery of some antibiotics in the 1940s.  =20
Actually, the antibiotics were available long before anyone tried them =20=

on the disease.  The treatment discovery was made by a country doctor =20=

who found a case, and not seeing any remedy listed in his reference =20
books, tried tetracycline as a shot-in-the-dark.  It worked.  No one =20
had realized that earlier, because rickettsial organisms could not be =20=

cultured in the lab.

=97 Paul

On May 28, 2008, at 4:30 PM, David & Alison Webster wrote:

> Hi Jim & Andrew,            May 28, 2008
>  Thanks for the advice. I took them in to Natural Resources and was =20=

> assured that all were American Dog Tick. There turned out to be a =20
> third. After having searched myself twice last evening I found one =20
> on my leg this morning.
>
>   A while back someone got upset by a fly in their bottled water. I =20=

> wonder what the reaction to a cupfull of ticks in a sleeping bag =20
> would be ?
>
>   While cutting westward down the bank to Brooklyn St., from the =20
> west side of the Hospital heliopad, I noticed a dozen or so Antlion =20=

> cones, on the highway cut just under a lip of overhanging root/sod.
> Yt, DW, Kentville
>
> Andrew Hebda wrote:
>
>> Here is a listing of Tick species we have confirmed in Nova Scotia =20=

>> (14 species).  There are a couple of exotics (probably brought in =20
>> by travelers) that have not become established.
>>
>> Ticks found in Nova Scotia based on Collection Records of the NSMNH
>> (* denotes collected from a visitor/traveler - not considered =20
>> indigenous)
>>
>> 	Amblyomma americanum *			 Lone Star tick
>> 	Dermacentor albipictus			 Moose or winter  tick
>> 	Dermacentor variabilis			 Wood  or American Dog =
tick
>> 	Haemophysalis  leporis-palustris		 Gregarious =
Rabbit tick
>> 	Ixodes  angustus				 Squirrel tick		=
=09
>> 	Ixodes  baergi				 Bird tick, Swallow tick
>> 	Ixodes banksi                                       =20
>> 	                 Beaver tick
>> 	Ixodes brunneus*				 Hard-bodied =
bird tick
>> 	Ixodes  cookei				 Groundhog tick