[NatureNS] Tri-coloured Heron at Lawrencetown Beach

From: "Paul Murray" <murraypaul@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Nature Posting" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 12:02:13 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C8BFF1.7FB5E5F0

May 26, 2008

As of 11:00 this morning the Tri-coloured Heron is still at the reported =
location across from the beach changing rooms at Lawrencetown Beach.  =
The bird is hanging out in the small ponds quite far back from the =
roadway to the right of the dead tree "rootball".  Sometimes it can bve =
difficult to see, especially if it is feeding like it was this =
morningwith head down a lot.  In that case he keeps his head down for a =
number of minutes at a time.  Locating the bird is even harder if he =
happens to be in one of the  smaller ponds that are behind taller =
grasses.  The best observation point this morning was from the east end =
parking lot entrance just beside the beach sign.  Be patient and slowly =
scan the ponds and he will eventually stick his head up and/or walk/fly =
between ponds.  One caveat - he may be hiding on one of the small ponds =
behind the dead tree rootball and the clump of shrubs/trees to the left =
of it.  That is here he flew to before I left at 11:00.

I observed the bird for about an hour this morning and got some distant =
but relatively good ID photos.  I even got several flight photos when he =
flew from one pond to another.

Paul Murray
Dartmouth
murraypaul@ns.sympatico.ca
------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C8BFF1.7FB5E5F0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>May 26, 2008</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>As of 11:00 this morning the Tri-coloured Heron is still at the =
reported=20
location across from the beach changing rooms at Lawrencetown =
Beach.&nbsp; The=20
bird is hanging out in the small ponds quite far back from the roadway =
to the=20
right of the dead tree "rootball".&nbsp; Sometimes it can bve difficult =
to see,=20
especially if it is feeding like it was this morningwith head down a =
lot.&nbsp;=20
In that case he keeps his head down for a number of minutes at a=20
time.&nbsp;&nbsp;Locating the bird is even harder&nbsp;if he happens to =
be=20
in&nbsp;one of the &nbsp;smaller ponds that&nbsp;are behind taller=20
grasses.&nbsp; The best observation point this morning was from the east =
end=20
parking lot entrance just beside the beach sign.&nbsp; Be patient and =
slowly=20
scan the ponds and he will eventually stick his head up and/or walk/fly =
between=20
ponds.&nbsp; One caveat - he may be hiding on one of the small ponds =
behind the=20
dead tree rootball and the clump of shrubs/trees to the left of =
it.&nbsp; That=20
is here he flew to before I left at 11:00.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I observed the bird for about an hour this morning and got some =
distant but=20
relatively good ID photos.&nbsp; I even got several flight photos when =
he flew=20
from one pond to another.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Paul Murray</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Dartmouth</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:murraypaul@ns.sympatico.ca">murraypaul@ns.sympatico.ca</A>=
</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C8BFF1.7FB5E5F0--