[NatureNS] Massive areas of Dug-up Grassy Turf in Berwick???

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 09:31:49 -0300

I would agree that the problem is probably mostly caused by skunks looking
for June bug larva. The property that I recently moved from in Kingston had
that problem for a couple of years, huge areas of the sod would be pulled
back so that they could get at the bugs. It became a daily chore to go out
and replace large areas of sod and then water it so that it wouldn't die. If
you dug in the sandy soils beneath a grass area you would find June bug
larva everywhere and later on the adults beetles would bang against the
windows like rain.

The nearby Paragon Golf Course had a huge infestation and I remember seeing
almost the entire fairway of Hole #3 being destroyed by these grub searches,
a colossal area as it is one of the longest holes on the course. It must
have cost them a lot to repair the damage.

Skunks were so common in the area that you began to see them wandering about
in the day instead of just in the evening. Two local cats made friends with
one that had a regular route over my front lawn, round the house to the back
yard and then down to the stream. They would follow it about at a distance
of less than a metre like groupies following a rock star. It was quite funny
except for the damage the damage the "black and white cat" was doing to my
place.

John Belbin - Hantsport