[NatureNS] Dug-up Grassy Turf AND bobolinks

Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 09:13:39 -0300
From: "James Churchill" <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

hi all,
The DUG UP TURF problem is pretty widespread in berwick. i know two
properties where about 80% of the lawn has been taken over. I know
this is also happening outside Berwick as well. About a month ago on
maritime noon one of the callers had the same observation. It is in
fact larvae, and you can quite predictably find them by looking under
the bleached patches of grass in the lawn. Apparently the crows and
ravens are actually doing a service by eating the larvae, although, in
the process, making a mess of the grass. I can't remember any more
details, but Im sure there will be a good answer on its way from
informed list members about this one...?

Yesterday evening, at least 10 BOBOLINKS, field edges, along route
362,  north of middleton.

james.

--
James Churchill