[NatureNS] re wild gardens around tree-bases at Cape Split, Kings Co.

Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 20:51:10 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

class=3D"Apple-converted-space"&gt;=A0&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;div style=3D"margin-
Hi Jim & All,                May 20, 2008
    Dutchman's Breeches used to be (now likely done in by years of all
summer cattle) fairly common both on the south facing side of the
Cornwallis esker at Cambridge and on the north facing bank above the
meadow. On these light soils they were if anything more likely to be
found at maximum distances from tree trunks. Also the red trillium in
North Alton have no evident preferences with respect to tree trunks.

     So I suspect that your clustering near tree trunks is a radiation
effect that becomes more important as one moves from average site
conditions to those with chill air and 'foggy, foggy dew'. The
additional heat captured by the new top growth would tend to increase
the rate of heat-limited shoot growth, as compared to a similar shoot
twice as far away where radiation intensity would be halved, and give it
a better head start to capture photosynthate before the canopy closed in.

    Radiation effects are a fairly common component of microclimate but
I don't recall now whether Geiger (~1915) included this in his classic
'Climate near the Ground'.

    By way of an example that is literally close to home, bud break and
bloom of a Sugar Maple and a Sweet Cherry seedling on branch ends
nearest our house are usually about one week ahead of shoots of the same
tree most distant from the house.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville