[NatureNS] Re: Gasperau Lake #2

From: <lesley.butters@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 10:57:53 -0400

Gasperau Lake nature sightings on May 18th.

Five Eagles soaring over the islands near the fish ladder.
One immature Eagle with gradual whitening of  head feathers
One female Eagle sitting on nest with her two quite small Eaglets
One Canada Goose standing in marshy area of lake
Five Geese flying
Nine Tree Swallows in flight and pecking in marshy area
Five male Red Winged Blackbirds (gorgious colour)I guess the females were there but we did not note them
Three male Mallards
Two male, female Common Merganser in flight
Six Black Ducks paddling
Grackels pecking near shore lines on every island we visited
Nine Blacked Backed Gulls  nesting on rocky Island near Little Stovepipe island
Two male Kingfishers
Waterlily pads
Several pockets of Clitonia in bud, near fish ladder
Purple wood violets in bloom
Wild strawberry in bloom near fish ladder
A LARGE school of Gasperau Fish inching their way up the  steps of the fish ladder, at the Power control dam on Gasperau Lake
Billions of vicious Blackflies just around 5:30- 6:00 pm.!!
Heard Spring Peepers near parking area
Blue sky and pleasant temperatures as we left Gasperau Lake.

Lesley Jane Butters
Wolfville

du