[NatureNS] Re: Gasperau Lake

From: <lesley.butters@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 10:12:21 -0400

May 18th I was on Gasperau Lake, Kings Co. paddling with a friend.
Our first interesting feature was that there were no black flies to greet us, what a treat!
We could see the weather deteriorating as we launched our kayak but we ventured out anyway. I am so glad we persevered. On our approach to Little Stovepipe Island, we saw an occupied eagles nest. Two little eaglets poked their heads up as Mama stood up to stretch her body. A short while later their was a Black Backed Gull hovering and harassing Mama eagle, determined to snatch an eaglet or two. There was plenty of action and  screeching between both party's. The Blacked Backed then spotted the male eagle approaching the nest. He had a fish in his talons. Yet another spectacular aggressive match unfolded, high above the tree tops. Eaglets finally, got fed and all went quiet. Black Backed Gull went back to his post on a neighbouring rocky island and eventually both the mature eagles left the nest. We left as well to observe other points of interest on Gasperau Lake.

Lesley Jane Butters
Wolfville Nova Scotia