[NatureNS] Migration Count

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 02:41:33 +0000

--_3d921c8b-b3a4-4fd6-a4cd-a649c7f76a44_

The end to a long and fruitful wet day.  I was pleased with the results con=
sidering the weather on the route that I run.  We ended up with 53 species,=
 despite the wet and cold of the afternoon.  It really cut into bird activi=
ty. =20
=20
Species of note:
=20
A white-crowned sparrow at my feeder early this morning at around 06:30.
=20
Two wood ducks
=20
Two Blue-winged Teal in Lilydale.
=20
Merlins at two locations.
=20
A rose-breasted grosbeak at Blockhouse
=20
A ruffed Grouse on Heckman's Island
=20
A barred owl surprisingly vocalizing in the wind and rain at Northwest.
=20
One winter wren heard
=20
Lots of blue-headed vireos
=20
Great looks at Black & White warbler, northern parula, and black-throated g=
reen warblers.  Ovenbird heard but not seen.  Also, the other two early mig=
rant warblers were prevelant, eg., Yellow-rumped warblers and palm warblers=
.  After seeing most of our warblers early in the morning, the weather dete=
riated and birds became mostly unvocal during the rest of the day.  Otherwi=
se, I know I would have found more warbler species.  I normally get between=
 8-13 species and I only hit six species for the warblers this time around.=
  Most areas that usually produced warblers were quiet.
=20
I missed quite a few species that are normally found, likely due to the wea=
ther.  Of note no hermit thrushes vocal at all or seen.  I should have had =
greater yellowlegs, American black duck, green-winged teal, common snipe, w=
hite-breasted nuthatch, common merganser, hooded merganser, red-tailed hawk=
, bald eagle, more hawk species, ring-billed gull, downy woodpecker, barn s=
wallow, boreal chickadee, golden-crowned kinglet, brown creeper, northern c=
ardinal, far more warbler species, and a lot more swallows.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore
=20
 =20
=20
=20
Find hidden words, unscramble celebrity names, or try the ultimate crosswor=
d puzzle with Live Search Games. Play now!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/212=

--_3d921c8b-b3a4-4fd6-a4cd-a649c7f76a44_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
The end to a long and fruitful wet day.&nbsp; I was pleased with the result=
s considering the weather on the route that I run.&nbsp; We ended up with 5=
3 species, despite the wet and cold of the afternoon.&nbsp; It really cut i=
nto bird activity.&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Species of note:<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
A white-crowned sparrow at my feeder early this morning at around 06:30.<BR=

&nbsp;<BR>
Two wood ducks<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Two Blue-winged Teal in Lilydale.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Merlins at two locations.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
A rose-breasted grosbeak at Blockhouse<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
A ruffed Grouse on Heckman's Island<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
A barred owl surprisingly vocalizing in the wind and rain at Northwest.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
One winter wren heard<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Lots of blue-headed vireos<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Great looks at Black &amp; White warbler, northern parula, and black-throat=
ed green warblers.&nbsp; Ovenbird heard but not seen.&nbsp; Also, the other=
 two early migrant warblers were prevelant, eg., Yellow-rumped warblers and=
 palm warblers.&nbsp; After seeing most of our&nbsp;warblers&nbsp;early in =
the morning, the weather deteriated and birds became mostly unvocal during =
the rest of the day.&nbsp; Otherwise, I know I would have found more warble=
r species.&nbsp; I normally get between 8-13 species and I only hit six spe=
cies for the warblers this time around.&nbsp; Most areas that usually produ=
ced warblers were quiet.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
I missed quite a few species that are normally found, likely due to the wea=
ther.&nbsp; Of note no hermit thrushes vocal at all or seen.&nbsp; I should=
 have had greater yellowlegs, American black duck, green-winged teal, commo=
n snipe, white-breasted nuthatch, common merganser, hooded merganser, red-t=
ailed hawk, bald eagle, more hawk species, ring-billed gull, downy woodpeck=
er, barn swallow, boreal chickadee, golden-crowned kinglet, brown creeper, =
northern cardinal, far more warbler species, and a lot more swallows.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Dublin Shore<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR><br /><hr />Sign in now! Windows Live Messenger is giving you a c=
hance to win $1000 a day until May 12th <a href=3D'http://g.msn.ca/ca55/214=
' target=3D'_new'>Check out SignInAndWIN.ca today!</a></body>

--_3d921c8b-b3a4-4fd6-a4cd-a649c7f76a44_--