[NatureNS] Blue-headed Vireo, Y-rumps and Magnolia warblers, Spotted Sandpiper

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 22:33:48 -0300

Monday May 5 /08

Palmeter Woods (west Kentville) rang with songs of Robins, many, many
Yellow-rumped Warblers, Black-capped Chickadees and Blue Jays. Then, there's
always that added thrill, hearing the fluting notes of the first-of-the
season Hermit Thrush echoing through the woods... Not far behind came the
sweet "O Canada, Canada" song of the Wh-thr. Sparrows, and the cheerful Song
Sparrow's.  From the river and stream areas,  calls from Willet, Swamp
Sparrow and Gtr Yellowlegs, Grackles and Red-w. Blackbirds.

Fresh arrivals were Blue-headed Vireo and a Magnolia Warbler. At one point I
thought I heard a Nashville Warbler in the distance too but it did not
re-offer its song. A small flock of Pine Siskins arrived. Both nuthatches,
flickers and Downy Woodpeckers spent their time flitting from tree to tree
searching for food, while a couple of male Purple Finch were trying to
out-compete each other with their warbles.
A busy morning for many...  A short but delightful woodland walk for me.

Tues May 6
There was a Blue-headed Vireo singing in our woods on the Wolfville Ridge.

Wed May 7
Windsor Sewage ponds - 9 Canada Geese
Sullivan's Pond -  3 Canada Geese
Lacey Mill Lake - Hwy 101 - Lr. Sackville area - Spotted Sandpiper flying
across the lake.

Cheers,
Judy Tufts

   Judy  Tufts