[NatureNS] American Bitterns and Willets

From: "Paul Murray" <murraypaul@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Nature Posting" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 20:37:27 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01C8B082.29CF2EE0

May 7, 2008

Discovered a pair of American Bitterns on the marsh side at Lawrencetown =
beach, across from the changing rooms.  The male was displaying his =
white "ruff" and chasing the female. =20

Also noted about 15 Willets in the area marshes.  Two males, in the pond =
on the right side of the road just before you get to the main beach, =
were chasing each other very violently while a female (I assume) stood =
by..  They were so violent that one bird would grab the other by the =
neck and drive him under water!  It was quite a fight that went back and =
forth for about 10 minutes until they all flew off when a passing car =
spooked them.

One male Piping Plover was evident where I expected him to be at =
Martinique (from observation 2 weeks ago).  I only observed for a few =
minutes and I did not see any others.  He was in good condition and =
escorted me out of his territory when I left the beach.  It was early =
afternoon and I did not expect to see much activity from the PP's at =
that time  of day anyway.

Yesterday, the 6th, there were two very tired Willets on the shore =
beside the Bailey bridge at the gun club at rainbow Haven.  They were so =
tired they could be easliy approached to within 5 meters and they did =
not flinch, just continued sleeping.

Paul Murray
Dartmouth
------=_NextPart_000_001D_01C8B082.29CF2EE0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>May 7, 2008</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Discovered a pair of <STRONG>American =
Bitterns</STRONG> on the=20
marsh side at Lawrencetown beach, across from the changing rooms.&nbsp; =
The male=20
was displaying his white "ruff" and chasing the female.&nbsp; =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Also noted about 15 <STRONG>Willets</STRONG> in the =
area=20
marshes.&nbsp; Two males, in the pond on the right side of the road just =
before=20
you get to the main beach, were chasing each other very =
violently&nbsp;while=20
a&nbsp;female (I assume) stood by..&nbsp; They were so violent that one =
bird=20
would grab the other by the neck and drive him under water!&nbsp; It was =
quite a=20
fight that went back and forth for about 10 minutes until they all flew =
off when=20
a passing car spooked them.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>One male <STRONG>Piping Plover</STRONG> was evident where I =
expected him to=20
be at Martinique (from observation 2 weeks ago).&nbsp; I =
only&nbsp;observed for=20
a few minutes and I did not see any others.&nbsp; He was in good =
condition and=20
escorted me out of his territory when I left the beach.&nbsp; It was =
early=20
afternoon and I did not expect to see much activity from the PP's at =
that=20
time&nbsp; of day anyway.</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Yesterday, the 6th, there were two very tired =
<STRONG>Willets</STRONG> on=20
the shore beside the Bailey bridge at the gun club at rainbow =
Haven.&nbsp; They=20
were so tired they could be easliy approached to within&nbsp;5 meters =
and they=20
did not flinch, just continued sleeping.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Paul Murray</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Dartmouth</FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01C8B082.29CF2EE0--