[NatureNS] Saturday May 3 Martinique Beach

From: uhoeger@dal.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 22:21:23 -0300

This afternoon I went down to Martinique Beach.
The Plover area is now marked, nevertheless people with loose dogs walked
close to the dune.
I was able to count 8 Piping Plovers simultaneously during one sweep down
the beach, more likely there are some more that were not visible at this
particular moment. Six of the eight were paired up.  All were resting close to
the dry sand/wet sand border half way up the beach, so they are not on the
nest yet.
Walking back on the marsh side I seen my fist Great Blue Heron for the
year, and of greater interest for fellow NatureNSlers I counted at least 5
pairs of Willets after their calls alerted me of their presence ( a moment
earlier I was just wondering when the first ones would show up this Spring -if
I would have know I would have wondered if there would be a magpie or
something other rare would show up)

Cheers

Ulli