[NatureNS] Flies, Wasps, mites, scorpionflies

Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 11:07:59 -0300
From: DB McCorquodale <david_mccorquodale@cbu.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

The Canadian Journal of Arthropod Identification
( http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/bsc/ejournal/ejournal.html)
is a new online journal with pictorial keys to assist in the identification
of Canadian insects, spiders and mites.  By making it easier to identify
insects to species it will assist in the vast undertaking of documenting the
Canadian fauna.

So far there are 6 issues available.  All include easy to use keys as well
as enough quality illustrations to allow confidence in the identifications.

For Atlantic Canada it is now possible to identify:
1. vespids (yellowjackets, paper wasps and their solitary relatives) to
species

2. Bee flies (Bombyliidae) to species

3. Mecoptera (scorpionflies and snow scorpionflies) to species

4. female mosquitoes (Culicidae) to species

5. bees (Apoidea) to genus (co-authored by a Nova Scotian, Cory Sheffield)

6. most mites that feed on birds to genus.

In the next few years we will see many more effective and useable
identification guides issued in this format.

The other major resource that eases identification of insects in our region
is Steve Marshall's profusely illustrated "Insects: their natural history
and diversity" published by Firefly Books.

DBMcC

--
DB McCorquodale
Department of Biology

CBU Biology
http://discovery.capebretonu.ca/biology

CBU Faculty Association
http://www.cbufa.ca/news/

Biological Survey of Canada (Terrestrial Arthropods)
http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/bsc/bschome.htm