[NatureNS] Birds Rhodes Corner

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 00:53:25 +0000

--_bf42135c-a4c9-423b-8189-dbbda6f278e6_

I finally made it out to the lake fishing this evening.  It was a very nice=
 evening with the lake the highest that I've ever seen it.  No trout to sho=
w for the effort and the first time I can remember going fishing there in t=
he evening during this time of year that I have not caught fish or at least=
 had a hit.  An osprey flying over the lake and not even giving it a look s=
hould have been a hint of what was to come.  Other birds around the lake we=
re three ring-necked ducks with a two male one female spread, a vocal song =
sparrow that was drinking out of a water hole beside the lake, a northern f=
licker vocalizing, numerous American robins, not sounding like robins at al=
l and a pair of barred owls calling three hours before it would get somewha=
t dark.  I also heard my first palm warbler giving a weak vocal.  There wer=
e other birds about as well such as American crows and a red-breasted nutha=
tch.   Quite a few insects were active including one definite mayfly.
=20
A week ago Pat and I took a stroll out at Green Bay and there were thousand=
s of insects of many different species about.  Any swallows or flycatchers =
would have had a real picnic had any been about.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore
Turn every day into $1000. Learn more at SignInAndWIN.ca
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/213=

--_bf42135c-a4c9-423b-8189-dbbda6f278e6_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
I finally made it out to the lake fishing this evening.&nbsp; It was a very=
 nice evening with the lake the highest that I've ever seen it.&nbsp; No tr=
out to show for the effort and the first time I can remember going fishing =
there in the evening during this time of year that I have not caught fish o=
r at least had a hit.&nbsp; An osprey flying over the lake and not even giv=
ing it a look should have been a hint of what was to come.&nbsp; Other bird=
s around the lake were three ring-necked ducks with a two male one female s=
pread, a vocal song sparrow that was drinking out of a water hole beside th=
e lake, a northern flicker vocalizing, numerous American robins, not soundi=
ng like robins at all and a pair of barred owls calling three hours before =
it would get somewhat dark.&nbsp; I also heard my first palm warbler giving=
 a weak vocal.&nbsp; There were other birds about as well such as American =
crows and a red-breasted nuthatch.&nbsp;&nbsp; Quite a few insects were act=
ive including one definite mayfly.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
A week ago Pat and I took a stroll out at Green Bay and there were thousand=
s of insects of many different species about.&nbsp; Any swallows or flycatc=
hers would have had a real picnic had any been about.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Dublin Shore<BR><br /><hr />Sign in and you could WIN! Enter for your chanc=
e to win $1000 every day.  <a href=3D'http://g.msn.ca/ca55/216' target=3D'_=
new'>Visit SignInAndWIN.ca today to learn more!</a></body>

--_bf42135c-a4c9-423b-8189-dbbda6f278e6_--