[NatureNS] Cornwallis River

From: "Andrew Steeves" <andrew@gaspereau.com>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 08:40:29 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_00C2_01C89C78.DCBAFE30

Friday I skipped out of work for a few hours and paddled down the =
Cornwallis River from South Bishop Road to downtown Kentville. There was =
lots of water and lots of flow. The trip was about 15 KM. We put in at =
noon and I was back at my desk in Kentville answering telepone messages =
by 3:30.

The top third of this trip is more of a twisty, flooded, alder-lined =
brook than a river. Lots of fresh BEAVER cuttings and at one point the =
beginnings of a dam. We followed a pair of MALLARDS and some BLACK DUCKS =
down through this section. There were also GRACKLES, BLUEJAYS, ROBINS =
and some sort of SPARROWS along the shore in this stretch.=20

The bottom two-thirds of the trip is a meander through open wetlands. =
The river is so high right now that it is barely contained in its bed. =
Through this stretch there were a dozen or so CANADA GEESE, a large =
number of BLACK DUCKS and some MALLARDS, and perhaps other sorts, but it =
was harder to get close enough to identify them in this open area and I =
was not using binoculars. Overhead just before Kentville was a =
RED-TAILED HAWK enjoying the west wind.

Lots of mammals too. A number of GROUNDHOGS and MUSKRATS and a BEAVER. =
The most exciting moment was watching a MINK swimming up stream just =
below Lovett Road. He climbed up on the bank as we approached and stood =
up on his hind legs and glared at us as we drifted by. There was also =
lots of evidence of what is most likely RIVER OTTERS -- the banks were =
covered in opened mussle shells.

We encountered a number of people fishing, but no one was claiming to =
have had any luck.

There's a small group of us from Wolfville & Halifax planning to paddle =
this stretch again tomorrow (Sunday), leaving South Bishop Road sometime =
after 10:00 AM. Contact me off-list if you have a boat and would like to =
join us. Might be wet. Hard to guess.

Andrew Steeves, Wolfville
TEL: 542-0187
andrew@gaspereau.com

------=_NextPart_000_00C2_01C89C78.DCBAFE30

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1252"><BASE=20
href=3D"file://C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft =
Shared\Stationery\">
<STYLE>BODY {
	BACKGROUND-POSITION: left top; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; =
BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat; FONT-FAMILY: MS Sans Serif
}
</STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.3314" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#c0c0c0>
<DIV>Friday I skipped out of work for a few hours and paddled down the=20
Cornwallis River from South Bishop Road to downtown Kentville. There was =
lots of=20
water and lots of flow. The trip was about 15 KM. We put in at noon and =
I was=20
back at my desk in Kentville answering telepone messages by 3:30.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The top third of this trip&nbsp;is more of a&nbsp;twisty,=20
flooded,&nbsp;alder-lined brook than a river. Lots of fresh BEAVER =
cuttings and=20
at one point the beginnings of a dam. We followed a pair of MALLARDS and =
some=20
BLACK DUCKS down through this section. There were also GRACKLES, =
BLUEJAYS,=20
ROBINS&nbsp;and some sort of SPARROWS along the shore in this=20
stretch.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The bottom two-thirds of the trip is a meander through open =
wetlands. The=20
river is so high right now that it is barely contained in its bed. =
Through this=20
stretch there were a dozen or so CANADA GEESE, a large number of BLACK =
DUCKS and=20
some MALLARDS, and perhaps other sorts, but it was harder to get close =
enough to=20
identify them in this open area and I was not using binoculars. Overhead =
just=20
before Kentville was a RED-TAILED HAWK enjoying the west wind.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Lots of mammals too. A number of GROUNDHOGS and MUSKRATS and&nbsp;a =
BEAVER.=20
The most exciting moment was watching a MINK swimming up stream just =
below=20
Lovett Road. He climbed up on the bank as we approached and stood up on =
his hind=20
legs and glared at us as we drifted by. There was also lots of evidence =
of what=20
is most likely RIVER OTTERS -- the banks were covered in opened mussle=20
shells.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>We encountered a number of people fishing, but no one was claiming =
to have=20
had any luck.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>There's a small&nbsp;group of us from Wolfville &amp; Halifax =
planning to=20
paddle this stretch again tomorrow (Sunday), leaving South Bishop Road =
sometime=20
after 10:00 AM. Contact me off-list if&nbsp;you have a boat and would =
like to=20
join us. Might be wet. Hard to guess.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Andrew Steeves, Wolfville</DIV>
<DIV>TEL: 542-0187</DIV>
<DIV><A =