Frozen soil etc.: was Re: [NatureNS] soil and moisture

From: "Terri Crane" <terri.crane@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 15:53:12 -0300

Canso area frost report.

I had to prepare an opening for my uncles ashes. While doing the opening on
Thursday We had only ~ 1 1/2" firm soad over the frozen ground. This was
followed by about 10" of solid ground with about 2" of heavy Ice crystal
beneith. This location would of had the shallowest snow cover or no snow
cover all winter. AND yes very wind swept.

I suspect that the very large mid winter thaw prevented the frost from going
as deep as it it usualy does.

Tom K
Canso