[NatureNS] Truro geese revisited

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 21:48:45 -0300

March 29, 2008

I was there after 10 am and found two adult snow geese on the corn fields
along with over 300 Canada Geese.  More and more geese flew in, but no sign
of the Greater white fronted goose.  One hour later,  at least fifteen Snow
geese came in and began to forage. It was hard to count them because of
their blending with the snow.  Later in the day, a fierce Peregrine Falcon
got EVERY goose and duck off to the air.  A magnificent show!  A delightful
surprise to see a flock of  22 Snow geese flying together (plus three other
Snow geese in other flocks) . So graceful and beautiful. A perfect
opportunity for photography.   Ducks included hundreds of black ducks, at
least 10 Northern Pintails, 15 American Wigeons, Mallards, and mergansers.
I was not good at identifying ducks in flight...  Still no luck with Jeff's
goose... I am wondering if it is the sign of geese and ducks migrating
north??

Over 40 Robins, a lone grackle, and a lone Bohemian waxwing were sighted.

Two Grey partridges were located on the NSAC premises.

A great birding day....

Cheers, liz