[NatureNS] Northern Goshawk

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 11:52:48 -0300

I happened to look out the patio door during the endless snow flurries
yesterday and saw a huge blue-grey "hawk" sitting in my neighbours maple
tree. It was still there after I went up to get my glasses and I was able to
see the white slash or eyebrow clearly when it turned its head. After a
couple of minutes it flew down into the overgrown ditch at the edge of my
property and returned to the perch with something it proceeded to eat. I
hope it wasn't one of the pheasants that normally hang out in that area. I
managed to get several shots through the window and snow flurries- not great
ones but enough to identify it.  The bird has the adult blue-black plumage
but the yellow eyes of an immature. I am not sure what that makes it.

No wonder my feeder birds often vanish for long periods - this area seems to
be full of predators.

John Belbin - Hantsport