[NatureNS] Acadia Biology Seminar Thurs. March 13 at 11:30 a.m. on Avian Flu,

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 08:00:35 -0400
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_tjeMtYopMe/SzBR93CS+SA)

----------
From: Wanda Langley <wanda.langley@acadiau.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 06:43:06 -0300
Subject: FW: Biology Seminar

From: Amy Lowe [mailto:080833l@acadiau.ca]
Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2008 11:57 PM
To: 'Wanda Langley'
Subject: Biology Seminar
=20
The Biology seminar for Thursday, March 13th will be given by Dr. Geoffrey
Whitehall from the political science department here at Acadia.

His presentation is titled, =B3Political Contagions of the Avian Flu: Five
Easy Species=B2=20

=20

Abstract: Focusing on political contagion focuses on the relationship
between the single instance of infection (animal and human) and the general
emergency of a pandemic (local, national and international government.  I
explore five different species of avian flu contagion to understand this
evolving relationship: 1) a classic case of pandemic contagion; 2) an
aesthetic affective contagion; 3) a pre-emptive contagion; 4) an ontologica=
contagion; and 5) an onto-political contagion.  I argue that, while each
species is extraordinarily complex on its own, each species can only be
appreciated within a larger reflexive movement.   As such, the implications
and methods of dealing with infectious disease are themselves viral since
they mutate with each interaction.

=20

Geoffrey Whitehall is an Assistant Professor of Political Science at Acadia
University. He teaches International Relations Theory, Pop Culture and Worl=
Politics and Contemporary Global Governance.  His current research projects
include Sovereignty, Preemption and Emergency and the Aesthetic Practices o=
Global Politics.  Recent articles include =B3The Aesthetic Emergency of the
Avian Flu Affect=B2 in Francois Debrix and Mark  Lacy (Eds.) Geopolitics of
American Insecurity: Terror, Power, and Foreign Policy (forthcoming) and
=B3Politics after the Event: Exceeding Asia/Pacific=B2 Borderlands, 6.1. (2007)=
.

=20

=20

** Seminars take place Thursdays from 11:30 to 12:30 in PAT 308.
Refreshments are provided, and everyone is welcome. Hope to see everyone
there! **=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

--Boundary_(ID_tjeMtYopMe/SzBR93CS+SA)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Acadia Biology Seminar Thurs. March 13 at 11:30 a.m. on Avian Flu, P=
atterson Hall 308 </TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>
----------<BR>
<B>From: </B>Wanda Langley &lt;wanda.langley@acadiau.ca&gt;<BR>
<B>Date: </B>Mon, 10 Mar 2008 06:43:06 -0300<BR>
<B>Subject: </B>FW: Biology Seminar <BR>
<FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman"><BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><B>From:</B> Amy Lowe [mailto:080833l@acadiau.ca] <BR=

<B>Sent:</B> Sunday, March 09, 2008 11:57 PM<BR>
<B>To:</B> 'Wanda Langley'<BR>
<B>Subject:</B> Biology Seminar<BR>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial"> <BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><B>T</B>he Biology seminar for <B>Thursday, Ma=
rch 13th</B></FONT> will be given by <B>Dr. Geoffrey Whitehall</B> from the =
political science department here at Acadia. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"4">His presentation is titled, <B><U>=B3Political Contagions of t=
he Avian Flu: Five Easy Species</U></B></FONT>=B2<FONT SIZE=3D"4"><B><U> <BR>
</U></B></FONT><BR>
<H3> <BR>
</H3><BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"4"><B>Abstract: </B>Focusing on political contagion focuses on =
the relationship between the single instance of infection (animal and human)=
 and the general emergency of a pandemic (local, national and international =
government. &nbsp;I explore five different species of avian flu contagion to=
 understand this evolving relationship: 1) a classic case of pandemic contag=
ion; 2) an aesthetic affective contagion; 3) a pre-emptive contagion; 4) an =
ontological contagion; and 5) an onto-political contagion. &nbsp;I argue tha=
t, while each species is extraordinarily complex on its own, each species ca=
n only be appreciated within a larger reflexive movement. &nbsp;&nbsp;As suc=
h, the implications and methods of dealing with infectious disease are thems=
elves viral since they mutate with each interaction. &nbsp;<BR>
</FONT><BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"4"> <BR>
</FONT><BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"4">Geoffrey Whitehall is an Assistant Professor of Political Sc=
ience at Acadia University. He teaches International Relations Theory, Pop C=
ulture and World Politics and Contemporary Global Governance. &nbsp;His curr=
ent research projects include <I>Sovereignty, Preemption and Emergency</I> a=
nd the <I>Aesthetic Practices of Global Politics</I>. &nbsp;Recent articles =
include =B3The Aesthetic Emergency of the Avian Flu Affect=B2 in Francois Debrix=
 and Mark &nbsp;Lacy (Eds.) <U>Geopolitics of American Insecurity: Terror, P=
ower, and Foreign Policy</U> (forthcoming) and =B3Politics after the Event: Ex=
ceeding Asia/Pacific=B2 <U>Borderlands</U>, 6.1. (2007).</FONT> <BR>
<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"4"> <BR>
</FONT><BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"4"> <BR>
</FONT><BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"4"><B>** Seminars take place Thursdays from 11:30 to 12:30 in P=
AT 308. &nbsp;Refreshments are provided, and everyone is welcome. Hope to se=
e everyone there! **</B></FONT> <BR>
<BR>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><B> <BR>
</B></FONT><BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"> <BR>
</FONT></FONT><BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"> <BR>
</FONT></FONT><BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"> <BR>
</FONT></FONT><BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"> <BR>
</FONT></FONT><BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_tjeMtYopMe/SzBR93CS+SA)--