[NatureNS] Questions

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 19:58:41 -0400
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi James & All,                Feb 16, 2008
    Avian and Mammalian toxicity profiles are no doubt different but I
will paste some comments about glyphosate (the active ingredient in
Roundup and Vision) toxicity that I sent to The Register last September.
Remember, Roundup is an herbicide i.e. a formulation that is toxic to
some plants. Birds and plants would in general not be affected by modern
herbicides (as opposed to some crude early ones such as arsenates,
sulfuric acid, varsol & perchlorates).

    I have no idea what may be used on Sunflower in Manitoba but if it
is Roundup then I would expect no adverse effect at all on birds or
humans. They don't give this stuff away and rates would be just
sufficient for contact injury, as a crude guess probably less than one
kg/active ingredient per ha.

    Perhaps entirely unrelated but I noticed last summer that the
Russian Giant (?) sunflower seed that I bought to plant in the garden
were almost all entirely empty shells.

    It is my understanding that materials and produce intended for human
consumption have more demanding specs for handling, storage, packaging
and transport. E.g. food grade calcium chloride may come from the same
factory line as highway grade but would be handled and protected from
possible contamination with greater care. And for example seeds intended
for planting, and coated post-harvest or post-storage with an
insecticide or fungicide, would in most cases be decidedly unfit for
birds or humans.
Yours truly, Dave Webster, Kentville

START OF PASTE\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    In this connection it is relevant to compare the acute toxicity of
glyphosate, the active ingredient in Vision, with commonly encountered
chemicals.  The abbreviation LD50 is the dose in g/kg body weight that
leads to death of 50% of test animals.

    All figures are LD50 orally in rats where not noted otherwise.
Aspirin 1.75 g/kg,
Sulfanilamide (dogs) 2.0 g/kg,
Common salt (NaCl) 3.75 g/kg,
Glyphosate 4.32 g/kg,
Ethyl alcohol 13.7 g/kg.
The LD50 figure for glyphosate is from Glyphosate, Pesticide Fact Sheet
<http://infoventures.com/e-hlth/pestcide/glyphos.html> .
Other LD50 figures are from the Merck Index, 9th edition.

    Note that common salt, commonly present by choice in foods and
widely used on highway in winter, is more toxic than glyphosate, aspirin
is nearly three times as toxic and ethyl alcohol is about 1/3 as toxic.