[NatureNS] Why save the Red Knot? - vertebrate hegemony?

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 03:04:20 -0400
From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

keeping clear of the beaches that the knots rely on during migr
Unfortunately missed the program, but I had a mild comment on the species-ist
emphasis here (sent it earlier but it didn't do through).

Nothing against the Red Knot and of course I hope it survives, but the
received
vertebratocentric perspective on this is interesting.  As the blurb below
states,
there are lots of other similar peep species around, but the horseshoe "crab"
Limulus polyphemus is a unique species here and has been practically wiped out
in many of its former habitats on the US East coast, according to Bob
Barlow, a
former student of Hartline (see below) who still works on it, latterly on its
visual behaviour under water. Apparently the market for its blood is the main
reason for the punitive "harvesting".

  Besides having a far more interesting, ancient lineage, Limulus has
contributed to several outstanding scientific discoveries in vision science,
notably that of "lateral inhibition" by which the nervous system sharpens up
percepts, enhancing edge-detection in images.  This has emerged as a
common enhancing operation elsewhere in nervous systems, but originally came
mainly out of work on the compound eyes of Limulus in the 40s-60s -- netting a
Nobel prize for H.K. Hartline, of the then Rockefeller Inst (now Univ). In the
60s, S. Yeandle made the first recordings of single photon captures in
the same
eye (since then recorded in vertebrates, though not in Red Knots),
while in the
70's, the first detailed analyses of how photoreceptor currents work
(semi-universal) came out of measurements on huge photoreceptor cells in the
ventral nerve that had been thought before this to be an olfactory structure
(analysed since in vertebrates, though not in Red Knots).  Circadian rhythm
mechanisms are big news at present (molecular mechanisms), and one of the best
analyses of the circadian control of an eye by the brain came from Barlow and
colleague's work on the Limulus lateral eyes.  There are at least two other
sets of eyes in horseshoe crabs, one UV sensitive and one in the telson...

None of these conceptual advances were minor cul-de-sacs and all have become
incorporated into the neuroscience base, ever expanding. Limulus
deserves great
respect as a unique and unusual pioneer invertebrate animal that ought to
survive.  What has the Red Knot done to gain comparable respect?

So, if I had to curry up votes for one of the two endangered species, it would
be for the unique and illustrious horseshoe crab, first.  "Why save the Red
Knot?" indeed -- do it second.
Steve